I can't add my new bank account

mtdew332
Contributor
Contributor

1: I closed my M&T bank account and opened a new checking account at Members 1st bank.

2: I added my new Members 1st debit card to my paypal account. (and removed my old debit card)

3: I am now trying to remove my old bank account and add my new bank account but i cant because.....

4: When i try to add my new bank account it asks me to verify that its me and to enter a phone number.

So i enter my tracfone cell number (that is already associated with my paypal account) and when i enter the number it gives an error saying the phone is not in my name. (it certainly IS IN MY NAME! and its the same number/phone that paypal uses to send me my security codes to login to paypal)

5: So why the heck does paypal say it cant verify who i am using the exact same phone that paypal uses to text me my login security codes?

6: I don't have a landline or any other cell phone, just my Moto G6 tracfone.

7: I tried calling paypal support but due to COVID phone support is down.

Note: Of course ive done a google search but im not turning up any real useful info how to solve the problem.

I could really use some help here because I cant use paypal or ebay right now because my bank account is not linked to my paypal account. This sucks!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

ramberroya
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi, Here’s how to link a bank account to your PayPal account: Click Wallet at the top of the page (if you’re on a mobile device, tap Menu then Wallet). Click Link a bank account. Select your bank, or click Don't see your bank? at the bottom. Depending on the bank you select, you may have the option to link your bank instantly using your online banking login information. If the instant option isn't available, just enter your bank account details manually and click Agree and Link. Option 1: Link a bank account instantly To link your bank account instantly, you'll need to enter your user ID and password for your online banking. We'll match this information with your bank to confirm your account ownership. Once this information is entered correctly, your bank account will be confirmed instantly. Option 2: Link and confirm a bank account manually If you enter your bank account number manually, you'll be prompted to confirm this bank account. You must complete this step before you can use your bank account to make payments or add money to your PayPal account. Within 3 business days, review your bank statement to find 2 small deposits (each between $0.01 and $0.99 USD) that we sent to your bank account. You can also contact your bank to find out the exact amounts of these deposits. With this information, you can complete the confirmation process online or follow the steps below: Click Wallet at the top of the page. Click the bank you want to confirm. Enter the exact amounts of the 2 deposits made to your account. For example, if you receive two deposits of $.05 and $.15, enter .05 and .15 on the screen. Click Submit. Note: Some banks combine the 2 small deposit amounts into 1 lump sum. If you only receive 1 small deposit, contact us to confirm your bank or try to link your bank instantly. The small deposits are temporary and will be removed from your bank account. If the deposits are $.05 and $.15, you'll also see a debit of $.20 by PayPal on your bank statement. Click here for common issues you might encounter when linking a bank account. Thanks. ***If you see a post that is helpful, kindly give the author Kudos or accept it as a solution. Thanks and have a great day! ☺
Login to Me Too

GG928
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. If the same issue persists refrain from doing it, instead try again after 24-48hrs and then use a different web browser like Google Chrome or Internet Explorer from your laptop or desktop. Repeat the same process. If you are going to make a payment, try using a different funding source on to your account. Follow this simple steps. How do I add my bank account to my PayPal account? To add your bank account: Go to Wallet. Click Add a card or bank account. Click Add a bank account. Enter the 'Sort Code' and 'Account Number'. Review your information and click Agree and add. To add a bank account from your PayPal app: Tap SettingsIcon Settings. Tap Banks and Cards. Tap the "+" sign on the top-right corner, then Bank account. Unable to add bank account: The bank account is already linked to another PayPal account. Your PayPal account is limited. The name on your bank account needs to match the name on your PayPal account. Use this link as well. https://www.paypal.com/in/smarthelp/article/why-can't-i-add-a-bank-account-to-my-paypal-account-faq7... If you need further assistance you can contact customer service for further assistance: 1. Log on. 2. Click HELP at the top menu. 3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US. 4. Scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options. Hope this helps. Stay safe
Login to Me Too

mtdew332
Contributor
Contributor

I am doing the steps correctly, the step both of these replies is missing is that after i click add bank account and enter my routing and account number i then get a prompt that says "we need to confirm its you" and i have to click "add number" , and when i add my phone number it gives an error saying the phone is not in my name. 

Which the phone certainly is in my name, it is the same phone i already have in my account that paypal uses to send me my login security codes.

So...NO, neither of these replies were helpful, they both skip over the issue i'm describing.

Login to Me Too

mtdew3321
Contributor
Contributor

Just an update for those doing a search with the same issue.

I did an online/live chat with tech support and we couldn't resolve the issue.

So i ended up just closing my account and creating a new one and now everything seems to work fine. (im just waiting on the paypal deposits to verify my bank acount)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.