How to change Primary email adrdess

Dnusha
New Community Member

Hello alll,

I have changed my email address and need to edit my old one.   I tried and paypal does not allow me to do so.  How can I edit it to apply my new email address?

Login to Me Too
107 REPLIES 107

Hey guys, I had same problem and spent hours trying. What I done with success was when on main profile page click on notifications ,then click on your email address then choose your new one. Worked for me. Hope this helps.
Login to Me Too

mosomoso
New Community Member

Hi. I've just been through the same torture. The problem for me was browser (firefox linux mint). I just opened Chrome and everything worked.

Login to Me Too

kdeich
New Community Member

You need to call PP directly to change anything lableld PRIMARY.  Go to https://www.paypal.com/help and click "Call Us".  Stupid rule.  

Login to Me Too

Si-HGVDriver
New Community Member

Easy.

close everything and use internet explorer NOT firefox. login the normal way, go to account select your profile go to your new email address and yo will be given the option to make primary. this is a proper pain but it does work. The key is using internet explorer. believe me I tried all the suggestions to no avail. good luck. PP need to change this and save us all wasting time on a silly bug.

Login to Me Too

LiborioP
New Community Member

Si, thanks for your attempt to help, however not all of us use Explorer, nor do we want to use Explorer.

Login to Me Too

bizabet
New Community Member

Like many others, I had trouble with this.  Many of the posts replying said to click on the Pencil or trashcan, but oops--not on my screen.  (For the record I was in Chrome).  Here is what I did

1.  From the settings account screent, click the plus and add a new email.

2.  Once you have entered the email, it will be under your primary email, but will be listed as Unconfirmed.  click update.

3.  Go to that email account--you should have an email from Paypal listed as SERVICE -- confirm email.  Open the email and click on confirm.  You will have to login to PayPal using your Paypal account password  (it might take a couple of times to get it confirmed)

4.  Once it shows as confirmed, click update again.  there will be a box to check to make the new email your primary.  Once that is done, you can delete the old primary.

Hope this helps!

Login to Me Too

topseed6060
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you bizabet. I just finished adding a new email and removing the primary email and then making the new email the primary. I did it following the instructions from the posts prior to yours. It was a bit confusing. So I was going to post a better set of instructions but scrolled down to see if someone already had and there was yours. Now I don't have to do it! Yours was good enough. Best of Luck.

topseed6060 (I'm an avid tennis player)_ 

Login to Me Too

SonnyandSam
New Community Member

Thank you bizabet. That last step was missing from other replies. The PayPal system is not terribly logical. Thanks for helping us out.

Login to Me Too

Mandiek22
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I was having this problem. 

I solved it by adding my new email (with the "+" next to email) and confirming it.

I then went into the "notifications tab" in my settings and switched my prefered email there. It made my new email my "primary" 

Boom. 

Login to Me Too

Fryjo

Thanks Mandiek22, changing my email on the Notifications tab was the missing step for me. Thanks for posting this! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.