How to change Primary email adrdess

Dnusha
New Community Member

Hello alll,

I have changed my email address and need to edit my old one.   I tried and paypal does not allow me to do so.  How can I edit it to apply my new email address?

Login to Me Too
107 REPLIES 107

juliarc2
New Community Member

The step you didnt mention is that you must CONFIRM your new email address by replying to to the confirm email sent by PayPal. You will not be offered the option to change the new email to primary, even though it shows on your email list, until you reply. Once you confirm, then you have to click 'update' to get to the check-box on the next screen. Once you check the box and go back to settings, you can delete the old address.

Its a stupid system but works eventually. Why they dont just have a 'primary' check box on the list is beyond me.

Login to Me Too

Jdod2017
This actually doesn't work for some reason. You are correct, the option is there, but it just doesn't update. I did find the trick, 1st you have to add a 2nd email. Then, in the Settings screen, all the way at the top, go to Notifications. Then select your old email address where it says "Email" and it will bring up side screen, in which it will allow you to select new email address just added, to send notifications. Once selected, go back to top and select Accounts tab to see the new email address changed to primary. At this point you can delete old (primary) email address and keep new one on file.
Login to Me Too

Jdod2017
Unfortunately this does not work. It should but even when you select to make new email primary it never does. I did happen to find the trick, first you do have to create the second email. Next go to the top of the settings screen and select Notifications. Then select old email where it says Email and it will open side screen which will give you option to select new email address, just created, to send notifications. Once selected go back to the top of the page and select accounts tab and go down and you'll see new email address changed to primary. You can now delete old email address and keep new one only.
Login to Me Too

MarilynMc
New Community Member
It doesn't work for me. I can't delete the old primary address. I get notifications sent to my new email address but everything else from PayPal still uses my old primary email address. Any other suggestions? It would really be beneficial if you could actually talk to someone at PayPal.
Login to Me Too

dianedeguerre
Contributor
Contributor

actually you can add a secondary mail adress and then eventually Paypal will reply to this adress and make you confirm it. It is just confusing as you cannot delete the primary adress

Login to Me Too

apetley
New Community Member

Thanks. It worked perfectly.

Login to Me Too

SwankyNails

+Add email
  Email
          Your Primary email address will be here          +

Your Secondary email address will be here
                                    Update/Remove

The next screen after you click "UPDATE/REMOVE"
UPDATE YOUR EMAIL
BOX:  Your secondary email, the one you want as your new "PRIMARY" email should be here.
Small BOX:  Make this my primary email for receiving notifications (CHECK THIS BOX)
BLUE "CHANGE EMAIL" ICON: Click this and you'll be done

The system should take you back to your "Profile" screen.
Click "REMOVE"  on the one you wish to remove

Login to Me Too
Solved

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@Cheekygirl  @rbridge3 @Dnusha

As Layla has already posted, click on the "+" symbol in the email address box to add a new email address. After the new email address is confirmed, click on the "pencil" icon to edit your newly confirmed email address. This will open a new page where you can click on the "make primary" box and then click on the blue "Change" button.

If you wish to delete the old email address, click on the "trash can" icon next to that email address. Suggestion... it's best to not delete an old email address from your PayPal account until you're absolutely positive that it's no longer being used for any service, such as accepting payments for eBay sales.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

rbridge3
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that! It worked fine. Certainly NOT intuitive, to 'edit' the new added email address, to make it primary. One would think to 'edit' anything, it would be the original primary email address. Anyway, it worked fine, but I should point out that there is no "pencil" icon to work with (Mac OS?) but the 'edit' link does the job. Thanks again!  rbridge3

Login to Me Too

FlyingFish73
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried this countless times but always get the same error message saying that my primary emai address cannot be changed or deleted.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.