tax concerns is Paypal up to the challenge- Not Yet!!

jakz
Contributor
Contributor

Tonight I called and was rather appalled that paypal does not seperate out shipping amounts for the tax year

they count it in the totals as payments received in our financial statement.

Why is Paypal not yet up to the challenge of us doing our taxes. Being the number one online payment site there should be an easy download of shipping amount paid out through Paypal to usps.

The information is there but accessing it is a nightmare.. Had I known I would have done things differently, but I was sure paypal was up to the challenges tax reporting would demand on its customers that I really could not imagine they would not have a ap for this.

Imagine my dissapointment when I was told I would have to download the entire year history and pick out each shipping payment adding it manually literally hundreds of payments....

sad sad Paypal get on the ball... since you have a whole merchent shipping arena, please allow us to access just shipping payment files and if you do have that information readily available as it should be, please inform the phone staff because they are not aware of it.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

brewhardware
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Uh, what? Just take your whole history out as a CSV, open in Excel or Openoffice and sort based on payments made to USPS or UPS.

Login to Me Too

jakz
Contributor
Contributor

sort 365 days with hundreds of shipments sometimes 20 a day, that is exactly what I am going to have to do and then calculate a total, but does that seem the practical way, when the information is in Paypal already I should just be able to click all usps payments for the year (date to date history report) and they come up

I already tried payments by email to usps but it did not pull anything up

I understand asking them to sort some payments is asking alot but usps is considered a loss.  

not part of stock, nor advertising etc. it is not considered income and should have a seperate history easy to download right off the site.

I did talk to a rep and they said at this time there is no way to download a total, you have to manually add it from transaction to transaction, if they are wrong I would LOVE to know and I would appreciate them knowing that info too.

(I will check your information CSV, I dont have excel or the office program you spoke of. )

J

Login to Me Too

jakz
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you,

Hopefully with the new tax expectations next year Paypal will make an easier 12 month way for us to sort our expenses. though this is much more workable then sorting through it all one by one.

I still think with a minimum of effort Paypal can come up with some very workable solutions to make this time which is stressfull enough smooth and workable.

I realize keeping a day to day balance log is essentual but what alot of work, time and effort to put into a part time job and hobby.

Frustrating to say the least. Paypal got several thousand dollars from me this year and I am sure several thousand from venders I purchased from, its not asking too much that we receive some simplified ways of sorting our expenses for irs purposes. (especially expenses that are easily sorted and can be done via automated method - such as shipping- ebay fees - etc. )

Login to Me Too

PayPal_BJ
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello jakz,

Sorry to hear you got some frustrating information from the phone support I'll work to get some better education to them. I have good news for you though it is possible to get a report of just payments sent for shipping; the drawback is the information can only be downloaded 90 days at a time.

You will need to access the reports dashboard which can be done by several ways depending on your account type. A generalized method is as follows: 

1. After logging in to your account type in the URL business.paypal.com. You will then be in the reports dashboard.

2. Depending on your account type one of two views will be shown. Click the last link on the right which will either state "Advanced search", or "Transaction finder".

3. Select a 90 day date range.

4. Click on the "Transaction type" dropdown menu, and select shipping.

5. Click Search, and your results will populate below. Depending on the amount of information this could take a few minutes.

You may then print, or download the report as a PDF, Excel, CSV, or TAB file format.

Regards,

BJ

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.