Virtual Terminal versus Online Payment Form

pmittan
Contributor
Contributor

What's the advantage of enrolling in the Virtual Terminal offered by PayPal rather than simply going to a "Pay Now" button on your website? 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello pmittan and Welcome to the Community Robot wink

Depending on what type of business you are running would determine which service would be more beneficial to you and your business.

I will start with the Pay Now button. The Pay Now button is used to place on your website (for your buyers to checkout and process themselves), that is correct. The Virtual Terminal is used to process orders manually by logging into your PayPal account and processing the order for the buyer (the buyer will receive a receipt by email).  If your sales will be coming from your website you would want to use a PayPal button. If you plan on collecting your buyer’s information and processing it for them the Virtual Terminal would be the way to go, or feel free to utilize both services.

PayPal buttons are free to use, the Virtual Terminal is $30 monthly (there is an application process to be approved as well).

~Misty

Login to Me Too

pmittan
Contributor
Contributor

Misty, thanks for the reply.  I suppose at a high level, I understand how both functions work.  However, I'm struggling to understand the benefit of the virtual terminal over the Pay Now button as a business owner.  For example, if I'm a business owner, why not simply go to my own website and use the Pay Now option without logging into PayPal to make payments?  This way, I have a "virtual terminal" without the $30 / month charge.  Is there something the virtual terminal offers that is a larger benefit???

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello pmittan, 

I would be happy to explain the benefit of utilizing the Virtual Terminal over the Pay Now button as a business owner.

PayPal's system is designed to protect account holders from suspicious activity. In this scenario it may raise a concern to PayPal if the system sees multiple credit cards being used from the same website. The safest way to process your customers credit card transaction would be from the Virtual Terminal.

I hope this makes sense.

~Misty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.