US Florida County Discretionary Sales Tax Entry

schessl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I'm trying to setup county sales tax for Florida. Rates for the counties vary from 0% to 1.5%. Figured out they needed to be entered by zip code and there are 1,451 zip codes in the state. Built an Excel sheet. The smallest number of entries I can make is about 180 - some of them ranges, some by individual zips that I string together on a single line, separated by commas.

A serious pain in that you can only enter 5 zip codes on a line. Couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know an easier way to enter county sales tax for an entire state - we have 67 counties with a total of 1,451 zip codes.

2) Is there a limit on the number of zip code entries I can make into the sales tax table? It seems to have stopped about 2/3rds the way through.

3) Once I get this entered, I have another paypal account. Is there any way to share sales tax tables across accounts? (I know, this is a long shot)

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

skier
Advisor
Advisor

1.  There is no way to import Zip Codes, you can either enter a range or one at a time.

2.  Unfortunately the exact limit is not documented however, as with most if not all Profile settings, there are limits as to that amount of data you can input.  For example, if you plan to use the online button creator to store you item button code, you are to 1000 item buttons.   Your only allowed 8 email addresses per account or 8 bank accounts, etc.

3. You're correct, with Website Payments Standard,  it's not possible to share info between accounts.

One option for you would be to check out some 3rd party shopping carts.  Many carts have backend databases which run on your website. 

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

schessl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response. Have you, or do you know of anyone that has entered 180+ zip code ranges for sales tax purposes? Is this the recommended process or should I rely on an external cart system?

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

First question, don't know.  Never had to enter that many myself or for anyone else.

As for your other question, if you can't make PayPal's functions work your needs, then your only option would be a 3rd party cart.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

DrewEstate
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the exact same issue.

Login to Me Too

ndezego
Contributor
Contributor

The only two options available to set up a tax schedule are by state/territory or by zip code. In order to properly charge sales tax in Florida, we really need to be able to do it by county because some zip codes in Florida overlap into more than one county. What would be involved in trying to get PayPal to offer the option to set up the schedule by county?

Login to Me Too

justincrb
New Community Member

You could always just move.

...just kidding Smiley Wink

But actually, depending on the type of business you are doing it might be possible to incorporate in Delaware, and rent an "office" there. There is no sales tax in Delaware. I'd consult a lawyer and accountant before going that route though. If you have a storefront in Florida and also do internet sales, it's a definite no go.

Login to Me Too

DrewEstate
Contributor
Contributor

I would love to hear a response from PayPal on this one. This is obviously an issue that they could solve easily for all of the Florida residents here. Also, I know that other states have the same system. What say you, PayPal employees?

Login to Me Too

soti
Contributor
Contributor

schessl did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.