Return URL

teachesl
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a beginner. (very green). Please tell me how I can set up a (simple) return URL for customers who have already paid, and I can direct them to my website. I want them to enter a part of my website that is secure and cannot be entered by anyone who hasn't paid. Thanks for your help!

eslteacherSmiley Happy

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

That's a bit more complicated.   One option would be to use a 3rd party application, something like this one for example.    Here's some additional info.

Regards,

skier

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

skier
Advisor
Advisor

You need to use Auto Return:

"Auto Return" immediately brings your buyers back to your specified URL upon payment completion. This feature replaces the standard PayPal hosted "Payment Done" page with a page hosted on your website.

To set up Auto Return, you need to turn it on in your Account Profile and enter the return URL that will be used to redirect your buyers back to your site.

Select "Edit Profile"
Under "Selling Preferences"
Select "Website Payment Preferences"
Note first option - Select "On" - Auto Return for Website Payments
Enter the Return URL.
Click "Save."

How Auto Return Works:
* If the buyer pays with a PayPal account, they are automatically taken back to the site.

* If the buyer pays with the Credit Card Option, they are taken to the receipt page where PayPal gives them the chance to print out a receipt. This is a legal requirement. After that, the buyer must click on the "Return to Merchant" link in order to return to the site.

Notes: The Credit Card Option or PayPal Account Optional is turned on by default for new PayPal Premiere and Business accounts. With PayPal Account Optional turned off, people without PayPal accounts must sign up for a PayPal account. They can pay by credit card, but they must agree to sign up for a PayPal account before completing their transactions and making their payments. Only Premiere or Business accounts have PayPal Account Optional in their account profiles. With Personal accounts, the checkout experience is as if PayPal Account Optional were turned off.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

teachesl
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks skier, one final question: how do I password protect or establish a URL where only paid customers can access the info they've paid for?

Login to Me Too
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

That's a bit more complicated.   One option would be to use a 3rd party application, something like this one for example.    Here's some additional info.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

teachesl
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks skier. JustHost has cubecart, oscommerce and zencart. I'll try one of these.

Regards,

teachesl

Login to Me Too

RC748
New Community Member

Hi Skier,

Do you know the URL of the page that would be used in a simple CubeCart application?  I have the site setup and working, but still have some issues with the API for the Express Checkout part (it give a Fatal error).

Thanks,

RC

Login to Me Too

jhunley
New Community Member

Thank you for the excellent infomration.  I am still a little confused though.  After paying, I have it set up for the buyer to go directly to a download page for the e product they purchased.  However, I have the return url set to go back to the main website if they click the "return to website" link.  If they don't have a paypal account and get taken to a page to print a receipt it sounds like they won't get taken to the link that will allow them to download the book but back to my main website.  Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,

http://www.vintagecarvideos.com

http://www.pointlomaelectric.net

Login to Me Too

jwcollect
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

After a customer pays and then gets redirected back to my site they get the correct Thank You page but it gives them an error.  The customer gets a receipt from PayPal and the sale goes through normally.  I have the auto return turned on and it's going to the right page just with the error.  Any clue what is happening. I'm using the Ecommerce Templates PHP cart.

The message says; Sorry, there seemed to be an error!

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.