Recurring Monthly Payments

inasmit
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there

Can someone please tell me how to set up recurring monthly payments in PayPal please?

Thanks

Francina 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello inasmit,

Welcome to the Forums.

You can set up recurring billing on your website with Express Checkout and Website Payments Pro. Both Express Checkout and Websites Payments Pro require a developer with API programming ability.

If you offer Express Checkout and recurring payments, customers can pay with their PayPal account. If you offer Websites Payments Pro and recurring payments, your customers can pay without a PayPal account, using their debit or credit card.

Here's where to find directions on how to integrate Express Checkout and Website Payments Pro with your website:

Log in to your PayPal account, Click "Merchant Services," Click "API-Express Checkout" or "Website Payments Pro API" under "For Developers," and You'll be provided with integration information and documentation.

Alternatively, you can create a "Subscribe" button for a quick way to accept subscription-type payments on your website. You can use the "Subscribe" button to bill customers on a regular basis, charge membership fees, or offer subscription services. We provide the HTML code which you copy and paste in to your website's code.

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

JCGuld
Contributor
Contributor

I have used the Subscribe button and it works fine, but customers are forced to have a PayPal account in order to subscribe to this recurring billing.  Is there a way to use the Subscribe button and allow customers to use credit cards?  Our merchant account is a Pro account.

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello JCGuld, 

Welcome to the Forums.

With a Website Payments Pro account there is the ability to utilize Recurring Billing with the Subscribe button and allow customers to use credit cards. Click here to find more information on how it works (scroll to the middle of the page and compare the Subscription button options).

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

flyer777
New Community Member

Hi there!

This was very helpful, but I have a quick question. What happens when a payment does not clear on a subscription? Will I get an email notifying me? I read the manual and saw that you can view uncleared payments in the history but I was wondering if I will get a specific email.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello flyer777, 

Welcome to the Forums.

If a payment fails, the subscription can be canceled, or the payment can be reattempted. You can reattempt collecting a payment before canceling the subscription. If your Subscription Terms calls for multiple attempts, a failed payment is reattempted three days after the failure. If it fails again, payment is attempted once more five days later. If the third attempt fails, the subscription is canceled.

If a payment fails, notification emails are sent to both you and your subscriber.

I hope this is helpful as well.

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.