Need Specific Instructions for Avoiding This Potential Chargeback

9Chiens
Contributor
Contributor

I use PayPal Express payments as one of my payment options on my website. I also accept credit cards through the Authorize.net gateway, and I have set up strict authorization approval guidelines with Authorize.net (address match, CVC match, etc.) to assure that the person placing the order is indeed the credit card holder.

Recently, I have received an order paid through PayPal which seems suspicious to me, and I need to know how to handle it.

The order is marked Partially Eligible, with an Unconfirmed address.

The reason I feel it is suspicious is that the email address given to PayPal (and appearing in my "You've Received a Payment" email is different than the email address submitted on the order form through my website. Also, I reverse-checked the phone number. Though the billing and shipping address for the order is in Florida, the phone number is a cell phone from New York City. Also, the address is a building in Florida which seems to be a mail drop for a lot of businesses. Finally, the person to whom the order will be sent and billed has an ordinary name, while the name appearing on the email from PayPal is totally different.

What do I do here? If I send the order, is there a chance that I can get a chargeback? If I have the package signed for, can I still get a chargeback if this is a stolen card? And what if this is a legitimate order- how can I be sure?

What I'm looking for is a specific procedure to follow in a case like this. With a credit card coming through Authorize.net, I simply call Authorize.net, get the transaction number, call my bank, they give me the name of the customer's bank, and I can call their bank to verify that the transaction is valid.

I need to know what to do when the credit card is provided through PayPal.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

9Chiens
Contributor
Contributor

Hoping someone can answer this question, please. 🙂

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello 9Chiens,

When you except credit cards through PayPal with website Payments Standard you would simply follow the Seller Protection guidelines to be covered if your customer file a chargeback. 

PayPal Seller Protection protects you from claims, chargebacks, or reversals if a buyer says that they didn’t authorize a payment or didn’t receive their item. Seller protection covers the full amount of all eligible transactions.

If a transaction is eligible for seller protection, it’ll be marked as Eligible or Partially Eligible on the Transaction Details page. If the transaction is partially eligible, you’re protected only if the buyer didn’t receive their item.

Here are some additional requirements to receive seller protection, ship the item to the address on the Transaction Details page, ship the item within 7 days after the buyer pays, provide proof of delivery (we require online tracking to confirm delivery), respond to our requests for documentation and other information, customer signatures for transactions of $250.00 or more. For these transactions, we require the customer to sign for the merchandise.

Chargebacks occur when buyers ask their credit card issuer to reverse a transaction that has already been approved. Customers can initiate a chargeback when an item is significantly different from its description or is defective, an item is not received,  a payment is processed more than once, or a payment is unauthorized.

I hope this helps!

Misty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.