How do you set up Authorize & Capture using a Buy Now Button in Website Payments Standard?

timmort
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to add a BUY NOW button to my website.  I have a Website Payments Standard account.  I need a customer to click the BUY NOW button and Authorize their payment, then Capture it a few days later.

I was under the impression that there is something I need to copy & paste into the Advanced Varible section when creating the BUY NOW button.  I've searched for this info and tried a few things, but I haven't been successful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_RobG
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello Timmort,

Correct, the advanced variable you need to add in to the button is: paymentaction=authorization.

If you're manually creating buttons (outside the button creation tool we offer), you'd need to add:

<input type="hidden" name="paymentaction" value="authorization">

----
For technical assistance with PayPal merchant product offerings, please file a ticket at https://www.paypal.com/mts/
Login to Me Too

timmort
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!  Works like a champ.

Login to Me Too

nikhil0963
New Community Member

I created a button on the paypal website and in the advance variables I added paymentaction="authorization" to the advance variables and created the button. Now, when I click on the button there is a text box for item price and the amount shows 0 instead of 50 which is the amount I want to authorize.

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello nikhil0963,

Welcome to the Community Robot wink.

I am sorry you are having troubles with the advanced variables you added to your PayPal button. There may be some useful information about this in the PayPal Developer Forum. That is where discussions about customized solutions take place, and the people there are in the best position to offer you suggestions.

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.