How do you add (negative) line items to an invoice?

Inspector
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to add (negative) line items to an invoice. 

Example:  I perform a home inspection for a client that includes a complete inspection of every element, part, appliance and system of the home.  Since it is not practical to list out the hundreds of separate tasks involved on an inspection invoice,  I simply charge a set fee that is all inclusive.  Occasionally I have a special request from a client that would like to save money by omitting certain items or systems from my inspection in exchange for a lower fee.  For instance a licensed plumber might not need me to inspect his plumbing system.

I need to add a line to the invoice that simply names the item omitted from the inspection and assigns it a negative dollar value.  Simply lowering the fee for the inspection without itemizing on the invoice creates a potential liability for me. 

I would like it to work something like this:

Qty 1     Full home inspection                123  Main Street USA                             $390       

Qty 1     Reduced service credit           Plumbing system not inspected             ($75)

Total Fee:   $315

At this time all I can do is lower the basic fee and then write an explanation in the notes field.  This complicates things at tax time and I think it looks unprofessional!

I have never used invoicing software that doesn't provide for negative line items so I'm sure PayPal does.  I just can't figure out how to get it to do anything but add.

Can anyone help??

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

rgagala
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem to the other person offering home inspections.  I give referral discounts and need to be able to reflect the discount on the PayPal invoice.  So far I have reduced the fee and added a line explaining it as the referral discount but that is really lame and causes challenges for returning clients.  Can anyone help?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.