How do i create my own discount promo codes

nate_24
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to email out a promotion code for $20 off online purchases to our internet newletter subscribers.
How do i set this up. Also if it can be done to have this promotional code only apply to certain products.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

At the present time, PayPal's Website Payments Standard does have any built in features or options for appling promo and/or discount coupons from within your PayPal Account.

However, you can use the "discount" variables combined with a bit of custom scripting that allows you to offer promo and/or discount coupons which can be applied to the individual item button code. 

The same can also be done if one is developing their own mini-cart type application.  This method does take some advanced coding skills as all the logic is calculated on your web page or site first, then the end results are "uploaded" to the PayPal Screens.   To see what a mini-cart looks like, take a look here.

To see some real world working examples and tips concerning the use of the "discount" variables, check out this link.

If coding your own stuff is not something you want to get into, then go with a 3rd party shopping cart as many do have discount and/or promo coupon features.    For example, check out this one.

Regards,

skier

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
29 REPLIES 29
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

At the present time, PayPal's Website Payments Standard does have any built in features or options for appling promo and/or discount coupons from within your PayPal Account.

However, you can use the "discount" variables combined with a bit of custom scripting that allows you to offer promo and/or discount coupons which can be applied to the individual item button code. 

The same can also be done if one is developing their own mini-cart type application.  This method does take some advanced coding skills as all the logic is calculated on your web page or site first, then the end results are "uploaded" to the PayPal Screens.   To see what a mini-cart looks like, take a look here.

To see some real world working examples and tips concerning the use of the "discount" variables, check out this link.

If coding your own stuff is not something you want to get into, then go with a 3rd party shopping cart as many do have discount and/or promo coupon features.    For example, check out this one.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

balburl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for this answer - looks like a mini cart is exactly what I need to keep from paying very high fees to someone like ShopSite just to be able to use discount codes! 

Login to Me Too

halfbets

Link provided doesnt work

Login to Me Too

sakeith
Contributor
Contributor

the link to see your examples is not working

Login to Me Too

chevyfixr
Contributor
Contributor

There is no link, just the code in my post

Login to Me Too

braglady
New Community Member

did you get any real answers to help you, as I am trying to do the same?

Login to Me Too

amnesia

@skier wrote:

did you get any real answers to help you, as I am trying to do the same?

There are some of us who would say, there is a village without an idiot but, the PROFESSIONALS here would ask:

"Are you JOKING or don't you really have a CLUE.   All the info you need has been previously posted.  There's nothing wrong if you don't get it.   The bottom line is if you're not a car mechanic, hire one."

Regards,

skier

wow.  i doubt you do well with those people skills.

Login to Me Too

Coffee
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking for how to put the redemption code in PayPal, I have search all through this site and still do not understand how to put in the Redemption Code. 

The individual must purchase two pounds of coffee to receive the additional item.  This will be going out in a magazine with the code, can anyone help me set it up.

This promotion will go for a month and half then it will be over, so I will need to remove the code after the promotion.

HELP????

Login to Me Too

nate_24
Contributor
Contributor

The promo code examples on that site that I saw calculated a percentage or fixed amount off the price of  the item being purchased.

Removing promocode after the promotion is done is easy just edit the button in paypal, profile, edit buttons, or delete the button and replace it with a new one.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about coding to tell you how set up a code that would only let you enter in a promo code after you purchased a certain dollar value of a certain product.

I'd suggest just advertising a free item with every purchase of 2 pounds or more coffee on the website and just send out the free gift with every 2 pounds or more shipped if its possible to do so.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.