Creating Buy Now Button with Variable amount

sheherezade
Contributor
Contributor

I reviewed the Feb 03 2011 post on this topic and was successful creating a button with variable amount, but the payment generates a verification error (Error:  Payment was not correct (amount/currency) )

How can I avoid this verification error?  Do I have to change the IPN listener to ignore the issue?

Thanks--

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sheherezade
Contributor
Contributor

It turned out to be an issue with payment verification code (the code did not allow for a zero amount button).  With a zero-amount (variable payment) button, the code that verifies the transaction needs to take this into consideration and not try to validate the amount, since it could be anything greater than zero.

Thanks for your reply-- I wasn't sure where this was being generated.

Sheherezade

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

MTS_MichaelL
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Sheherezade,

The error you quoted does not sound like any PayPal checkout error; I suspect it's being thrown by a store or other third party software. It is possible that the payment amount is being somehow verified before being submitted and it fails if mismatch is detected. If you give me steps to reproduce the error I may be able to tell you more.

The general rule is: to make the amount dynamic, use a non-hosted button and either leave amount blank (buyer will need to enter it at checkout) or prepopulate dynamically before forwarding to PayPal.

IPN listener shouldn't have anything to do with accepting such payment. Although a script may be configured to refuse a notification with mismatching details, the payment has already been completed at this stage.

Regards,

Michael

MTS

Login to Me Too
Solved

sheherezade
Contributor
Contributor

It turned out to be an issue with payment verification code (the code did not allow for a zero amount button).  With a zero-amount (variable payment) button, the code that verifies the transaction needs to take this into consideration and not try to validate the amount, since it could be anything greater than zero.

Thanks for your reply-- I wasn't sure where this was being generated.

Sheherezade

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.