Buy Now Button redirect to download page: Why 3 different redirect options ???

StewartJarvis

Hi Folks:

I want to sell some ebooks on my site using the Buy Now button from Paypal.

After customers purchase with the Buy Now button, I want them re-directed to my specified download page so they can download their newly purchase ebook.

Seems straightforward, yes?

But I have noticed there a multitude of choices for setting up this "redirect page". Also there can be problems with redirtects not working  if some certain "hidden" Paypal profile settings are not put into place, which I was totally unaware of.

Could the fine Paypal Peeps please give me guidance by helping me answer the following questions:

- I have noticed in the Buy Now scripting page the checkbox for redirecting, and the entry fireld for an URL.

- Also, under personal profile in payment settings there is the "Auto Return" on/off option, which also redirects the customer after payment. I have heard that this needs be "On" for the redirect pages to work.

Question:

Do I use both of these options at the same time, using the URL to redirect to my download page? Or are they in fact 2 seperate return pages? I am confused on this.

- Additionally, I have noticed that one can enter a "Return" variable in the Buy Now button scripting page. It's a bit of HTML code that seems quite straightforward. This allows you apparently to over-ride any redirect pages assigned using the previous methods, letting you enter a custom redirect page URL as a value.

Question:

I would like to use this "return" variable option as I thinking I can  have customized Buy Now buttons for different ebooks that each have their own different redirect download pages. Am I correct in this assumption, will this in fact work OK? If I use this option, do I still need to have Auto Return option "On" or "Off" ?

Final Question:

Regarding this Auto Return Option, will it cause conflicts with using any of the other redirect options I choose? Can someone properly explain the difference between Auto Return and Page Redirect?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

SJ

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.