?? Based in Japan, Bank is in Hong Kong, what account do I set up??

woodstockmck
Contributor
Contributor

This is a question about setting up a new business account.

I recently started work at a Japanese company based in central Japan. I am in charge of expanding our domestic operations to serve overseas clients. Our company address is here in Japan, but we want to use a Hong Kong bank for managing the incoming profits. Clients will be international, and payment will mostly come in US dollars. We want to keep the money in US dollars to avoid exchange charges. We are still building the website now, and need to include paypal on the site, as well as paypal invoicing.

Should we set up a Hong Kong PayPal account since that is where the bank is? Is this possible even though we are based in Japan? I tried sending an email to the PayPal help center, but the reply was just a jumble of unhelpful links about setting up an account. The handling fees seem to be different in Hong Kong, Japan, and the US looking at the different paypal websites. Of course I would like to keep those costs down as much as possible.

Please help me solve this puzzle before my bosses get impatient about what account to set up! Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi woodstockmck,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Here's a list of some of the restrictions you may want to be aware of before making your decision:

- You will need to have a physical address in the country in which you will be opening the PayPal account.

- You will be able to add a U.S. bank account or local Japanese bank account with a Japanese PayPal account.

- You will be able to add a U.S. bank account or local Hong Kong bank account with a Hong Kong PayPal account.

I hope this information is helpful!

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.