Auto Return giving different POST and GET data

unlucky17
Contributor
Contributor

I am working on a site where we use PayPal to check on the payer's account to see if it's verified.

Initially, we had it set up to not auto return, and when we would click the button to return back to our web site, it would populate a POST variable with all sorts of great, useful information (payer_status being the main one we want).  We needed the site to automatically redirect to ours to eliminate the possibility of users getting to that point and then closing the browser, losing their information and then not showing the order in our databases.

So, we turned on the auto return option figuring it would send the same information, except automatically forward to the URL desired instead of making the user click a button to get back to our site.  Much to my dismay, it sends almost nothing that was sent earlier, and it sends it all in the GET variable, not POST.

How can I get the auto return function working while sending all of the POST information it would if a user clicked a button?  We haven't changed any API settings or anything other than that one option and I have no idea why it would give totally different data.

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

skier
Advisor
Advisor

If your plan is to have data returned with the URL specified in the value, then you would need to include the "rm" variable.    For example:
<input type="hidden" name="rm" value="2">
Means - The payer’s browser is redirected to the return URL by the POST method, and all transaction variables are also posted.

<input type=
"hidden" name="rm" value="1">
Means - The payer’s browser is redirected to the return URL by the GET method, and no transaction variables are sent.

<input type=
"hidden" name="rm" value="0">
Default setting - All shopping cart transactions use the GET method.

The "rm" variable takes effect only if the "return" variable is also set.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

unlucky17
Contributor
Contributor

Looking through our entry page code, that variable is already set.  It works fine when we don't use auto return, but when we do it gives GET data instead.

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Try another approach, open a Support Ticket here.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

woodsdancer
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem ...

in the past I have not used automatic return, and used the POST data to display and record information specific to that payment. Unfortunately, not all users would actually click the "return to merchant" button, leaving some transactions incomplete.

Changing only the "use automatic return" setting, it does automatically return, but no POST data is provided at all (I did not notice GET data, but I wasn't looking for it either since it is useless as it would potentially enable users to fake a purchase receipt.

Question: how can I  recieve POST data when using automatic return.

Note: I have provided a return URL, and I have set the rm=2 setting

Login to Me Too

michaelb321
Contributor
Contributor

Hrmmmm...

Looks like we may be in a similar situation. We setup a subscripion e-mail link about a month ago, and in tests the entire process worked perfectly. Upon testing this weekend, we learned that variables set within the link are no longer being passed all the way through the transaction to the confirmation page displayed from our website. This is despite setting rm=2, and of course a return variable.

Viewing the source code of the final PayPal-hosted page of the transaction (where the return button displays), we can see the form for the return button uses the GET method instead of POST, despite us having set rm=2. From what I understand, this ought to be POST.

Separately, for our regular (NON-subscription) e-mail link, the source code for this page shows the return button uses the POST method, and our variables ARE sent to our confirmation page as expected.

To me, it almost seems like the subscription link is ignoring the rm=2 setting. Again, this same link worked correctly a month or so ago when it was created. We've only learned this weekend of this new behavior of variables not being included all the way through to our confirmation page.

(FYI, the cancel_return URL is always displayed correctly if the transaction is cancelled. This issue only affects the return URL for a successful subscription creation.)

Any ideas?

Login to Me Too

woodsdancer
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for replying...

ok, that makes 3 of us with essentially the same problem (you, me and the guy who started this thread)... I don't believe in coincidence. I have not worries about return on cancel... but to summarise mine:

rm=2

return="http ..."

and auto return on ...

fails (meaning I receive POST values)

but

will work as soon as I turn auto return off ....

I really would like to make sure my visitors return to my site (because I display send them a mesage that includes the total price) ... and it s clear some do not come back (although they may open a new window and/or start at my home age)

I guess it is time for a formal ticket to paypal

Login to Me Too

tkaze
New Community Member

I have run against the same problem and after a few minutes of googling I found this...

The "rm" flag only applies to the Continue button, not auto-return. If you want the payment details POSTed to your "return" URL, you'll need to use the regular Continue button. We (PayPal) advise using IPN for any post-payment processing.

So that is it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.