After PayPal payment, how to force user back to website to finalize order processing?

bbdesign
Contributor
Contributor

I am using my own shopping cart, then sending the user to PayPal to make a payment. I see that I can add a URL in for where to send the user after payment is made. However, the user isn't forced to click that link, they might even just close the browser window. However, I need to redirect the user back to my website in order to finishing processing the order (i.e., indicate in the database that the payment was sent). Otherwise, the order is left hanging in limbo, because it was partially processed, pending receipt of payment.

Is it possible to somehow send the user to a page on my website after payment is made, so that I can finish processing the order? Thank you!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

9000elv
New Community Member

I'm a newbie, but when you say you need to "indicate in the database that the payment was sent). Otherwise, the order is left hanging in limbo, because it was partially processed, pending receipt of payment."  Don't you do this in your transactions page of PayPal? Under 'Details', I believe.   Or is this somehow done on your website?

KW

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello bbdesign,

Your buyers can return to your website automatically after they make a payment with the Auto Return feature.

Depending on how you are setting this up here are a few tips:

• If you use Subscriptions Password Management or plan to use it, Auto Return must be turned off to display the  PayPal-generated username and password to buyers.
  • If you turn on both Auto Return and PayPal Account Optional, new buyers aren't automatically returned to your website, but are given the option to return.
  • If you turn on Auto Return, you can use Payment Data Transfer to display the payment details to buyers.

Here is the direct link to how Auto Return works.

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.