Adding more than 7 email addresses

madsere
Contributor
Contributor

I'm starting my 8th web based business and need to add an 8th email address to my Paypal account.  Problem is I can only add 7 email addresses, and it looks like you're only allowed to have one Paypal account.

How to deal with this?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

madsere
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paypal_Olivia, 

Thanks for moving my post, I posted it where I thought best, obviously that wasn't right.

Anyway, no answer?   Surely it must be possible to run more than 7 businesses/websites with Paypal no? 

Login to Me Too

madsere
Contributor
Contributor

Not much help available here huh?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_RobG
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi madsere,

This is not my area of expertise (I deal with the technical side of integrating PayPal), but as far as I know it's perfectly fine -- recommended, even -- to have multiple PayPal accounts, if the businesses are significantly different from eachother (e.g. different business categories).

I'll ask one of my colleagues if they can confirm this for you.

----
For technical assistance with PayPal merchant product offerings, please file a ticket at https://www.paypal.com/mts/
Login to Me Too

madsere
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rob, 

Thanks for the reply.

The websites are all same category - webhosting - and different Paypal accounts are really needed in order to implement the callback functions from Paypal to the individual hosting websites.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_RobG
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi madsere,

Could you expand on your last sentence perhaps? I assumed you wanted to add multiple email address for administrative purposes.

How does the technical part of the checkout figure into this for you?

I may be able to advise a different manner of integrating PayPal, which would work around the limitation you're seeing now.

----
For technical assistance with PayPal merchant product offerings, please file a ticket at https://www.paypal.com/mts/
Login to Me Too

madsere
Contributor
Contributor

Well I've realized that it's more than just running out of email addresses.  If  that was the only issue perhaps I could get around it by using some generic email address in Paypal, but my hosting websites are setup with a webhosting management system called WHMCS which you may have heard of.  On completed purchase Paypal needs to call back to WHMCS on the calling server to confirm the payment so the purchase (the website, reseller account etc) can be setup.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_RobG
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi madsere,

I've heard of WHMCS yes, although I can't recall exactly how they've integrated PayPal Website Payments Standard.

Technically, all important values can be overridden by WHMCS to allow for the same checkout experience on each individual WHMCS instance.

- You can override the return URL to which buyers are returned by sending a custom 'return' HTML parameter

- You can override the cancel URL to which buyers are returned when cancelling a transaction by sending a custom 'cancel_return' HTML parameter

- You can override the URL on which IPN notifications are received by sending a custom 'notify_url' parameter

However, it would be up to WHMCS to send this information.

If it doesn't currently send it, and it relies on this data to be present in the PayPal Profile, you would run into issues as you add more websites.

Feel free to let me know what the exact problem is you're having right now, and I'll see if there's a possible workaround available for you.

----
Login to Me Too

madsere
Contributor
Contributor

Specifically the problem is I have 7 websites, each sending business to Paypal for payment. When the payment is cleared Paypal calls back ot the website some callback parameter, forgive me I don't remember the exact terminology right now but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.  

I'm now adding an 8th website that works in the same way, but I'm limited by the - seemingly arbitrary -  limit of 7 email addresses per Paypal account.  Any particular reason for this limit? 

As far as I understand from the WHMCS documentation it relies on the value configured in Paypal for the callback.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_RobG
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi,

I can assure you this is not an arbitrary limit; though it's not exactly my area of expertise.

As indicated in my earlier reply, WHMCS can override the value for this callback each time it initiates a transaction.

By 'callback', are you referring to the URL buyers are returned to and a parameter is appended to this URL, or are you referring to PayPal Instant Payment Notification (IPN)?

There, realistically, is no need to add the email address of each store unless WHMCS does a validation in the IPN callback which checks the recipient (the PayPal account email address) against the recipient it ought to be (the value for 'business' you entered in the WHMCS setup). But again, these values can be the same for each store.

In short,

I would suggest setting the 'business' of the 8th WHMCS installation to your primary PayPal email address, and simply testing the checkout. This should work.

----
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.