"REQUIRED to avoid service interruption you need to complete important security upgrades"

69Michi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I received an email from paypal reminding me that I need to complete some important security upgrades. Specifically, the email asks me to do "TLS 1.2 and HTTP/1.1 Upgrade." The consequence of unable to do this by a specific date is that I won't be able to accept payment from my Paypal anymore. But as I read through everything and even tried to google, it seems like I only need to do this upgrade if I own a website that use Paypal as payment portal? (All the terms sound very technical, I couldn't quite understand everything) I do not have any website and my Paypal is a personal Paypal, not a business one. I just want to confirm if this email really is addressing me and if I need to do any update to my account. Thank you.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Preston_PP
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

The email is from PayPal, and should have included a link to the microsite www.paypal-notice.com , which has full details

Here is a PayPal article that talks about content being put there: https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/our-tech-support-content-has-moved!-ts2171

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

TGSLeo
Contributor
Contributor

I recently received a rather confusing email detailing and instructing me to do a series of security changes to my account, but I cannot comprehend anything of it.  I'm told I have to make the "TLS 1.2 and HTTP/1.1" security updgrade by following some links in the email, but they don't work at all and I have a steady internet connection.  Is there someone that can explain what do I have to do? Additionally it seems this message was intended just for me; am I at risk of getting my Paypal account frozen or something related? If so how can I fix and remedy that? Any help is definitely appreciated. (Provided a screenshot of the email below)

evidence1.png

Login to Me Too

Clarinet
New Community Member

I think this is a phishing scam and am not clicking on anything.

Login to Me Too

I just got the same thing! It didn't end up in my Spam folder and was directly sent from Paypal so I can't imagine it was Spam??? Is it legit and what I am supposed to do???

Login to Me Too

KonradLV

There is no such thing as "directly sent from Paypal" because all spam, hacks, cracks , viruses and other junk are pretending to be from somewhere where they're not.
Just because it shows PayPal email address means absolutely nothing.
And I got the same email and it didn't land in Spam folder, but but it is spam designed to steal your PayPal login & password. When you click on the links there you'll go to a website that pretend to be PayPal.

Login to Me Too

For me they're deadlinks, and paypal-notice.com they're supposed to be on is blocked by my internet provider for being "unsafe". But Paypal lists it on their site?

Login to Me Too

69Michi
Contributor
Contributor

I took a look at the URL included in the email and it seemed to link back to Paypal main site (HTTPS) so I can't imagine those links are fake too. Some googles later also showed me Paypal are doing these security changes? So I'm not sure either. I'm in the same board, very confused. I posted a topic about this just now too. Hopefully someone with the knowledge can answer it.

Login to Me Too

KonradLV

What do you mean by "seemed to"?
When you're unable to describe such basic issue then you'll fall for scams and virsuses sooner or later, and your PayPal credential will be stolen.
So did those links go directly to PayPal.com or they didn't go to PayPal.com?
I received the same email and the links DID NOT go directly to PayPal.com. It was an obvious attempt to steal my login and password.

Login to Me Too

69Michi
Contributor
Contributor

I used a different, brand new device to click on the link and check it out, and it linked to a https site of paypal, which according to what I read on Paypal, HTTPS are secured site which should be their official site. But I could be wrong. I also tried to google "Merchant Security Roadmap Paypal" And got some similar results

CqYRn-2JSxaW5xrdEh6-hA.png

But since another person in the thread said they already called and confirmed with Paypal, I will listen to them and scratch this off as a scamming attempt since if it's really an important thing, all my friends should have gotten the same email, not just a selected few individuals here in this forum.

(Also another thing to note, the email doesn't seem to have Paypal avatar and phone number like all other email Paypal uses to notify me of my transaction, that was one of the redflag alright) To be safe I just went ahead and update my password on my email and Paypal account.

Login to Me Too

KonradLV

I received the same email and the links don't go to PayPal.com, but go to http:// links .paypal. mkt2944 .com/
(please don't go this link in this message)
This obviously doesn't go to PayPal website and is an attempt to steal your PayPal login and password.
And you need to post the exact links, not just screenshots, if you want help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.