Working Capital Loan Denied

robynnstorey
Contributor
Contributor

I have been a PayPal customer for many, many years and run over $2MM in annual transactions for my small business through this account. They are the only payment processor we use.  We have successfully had and paid off over 800K in working capital loans, always paid early, always without issue.  During the past year, even with Covid, our sales have grown by 44%.  This morning, after paying off my last Working Capital Loan last week, I went in to apply for a new loan. It was immediately denied.  I called and was met by a very unhelpful PayPal representative who told me my business was not eligible for a working capital loan.  I asked how that could be...we have been doing business with PayPal for over a decade.  He had no answers, cut me off and was unable to tell me why I was denied.  We are all US based, rarely have payment issues and have been loyal to PayPal for all of our transaction needs.  I am disgusted and disappointed to be treated this way and have immediately started to look elsewhere for the capital we need to continue to grow our business, and will be looking for another Payment Processor as well.  It seems to me that PayPal has bit off more than they could chew with the PPP and other lending initiatives that they've committed to, and the loyal customers who do consistent and honest business are being left in the dust.

RMS4937
Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

Amelli
Contributor
Contributor

WOW I am in shock! Went from offers over 100K to denied. Got 6 loans with no issues and last one was paid off on March 6th. We got more sales than ever since most people were home and needed laptops. Their excuse is "your paypal account sales activity is insufficient". I am in disbelief. Will check out that Shopify place. Thanks for the suggestion.

Login to Me Too

Reidrealty
Contributor
Contributor
Same here! What the hell is going on? I've got three loans in the past to be told my business doesn't qualify because of the type of business? How did I get three other loans? And I paid those off in less than half the time! My sales have increased over 40% over the last six months and business is booming. I wanted to hire someone else and buy more equipment. What is going on PayPal?
Login to Me Too

Bamabots
Contributor
Contributor

I, too, have had multiple loans paid off early.  In fact my last loan of $85,000 was paid off in only 248 days.  I was denied this time because there had been recent holds on my account.

The quandary is I used the loan to buy out Happy Valley Ranch Cider Presses last August.  As expected, my sales took off.  So much so that PayPal started put 7-day holds on my sales because of the increased business. 

As a kick in the wallet, PayPal put a 7-day hold on my sales but PayPal Working Capital took the money out of my account immediately.  Essentially causing a negative cash flow.

It didn't cause any financial distress since we keep rather high balances in the account anyway.  We've had to be very careful with the cash flow because sales continue to flood in so we are ordering a great deal of parts and raw materials.

I have an opportunity to buy out a number of other companies at really, really, good deals. 

The actual APR that PayPal Working Capital collects from me would make a loan shark jealous.  At the same time it is far better than taking on a partner so it's a relative win-win.

I don't know, may be PPWC has served it's purpose?

Login to Me Too

kaykay543
Contributor
Contributor

I feel that Paypal itself maybe is done. There isn't any real incentive to keep it anymore. Ebay and Etsy has basically done away with it. And now no loans. I use it as my card processor in my store. The newest version of the software is horrible and full of glitches that no one will fix. The only reason I  have used it in my store was because of the ease of getting loans. Now that there are no loans to be had; I am going to switch it out to another processor. My local banks have been begging me to use them. I may as well do it now. 

I am still a bit shocked that they turned me down as I have sales going in every single day through Paypal here. My sales are almost double last year and they still declined me saying my business is seasonal which is blatantly not true. Not sure where they got this seasonal nonsense but at this point it doesn't matter. 

Thankfully I got an Amazon business loan instead. Which actually is better terms as they only take a payment once a month instead of every day. So you always know what your payment is. 

Login to Me Too

finlandia5
Contributor
Contributor

I run a small general practice law firm somewhere in the USA.  Its just me, the lawyer, and a legal assistant.  Here is my history:   Started using Paypal to process payments circa 2013.  In late 2018 I discovered PPWC.  I applied through the "button" and they offered me 5K.  I smashed the 90 repayment windows each time.  Paid off well ahead of time through sales alone.  Immediately (within minutes of payoff) received a new invite through the "button".  I was offered 10K.  Again, smashed the 90 day repayment windows and the 10K was paid off in December 2019; but this time through a lump sum payment of like $1,300.  I recall it only taking one business day to process through ACH.  The button reappeared the following business day and I was offered 20K. I accepted.  

Now, I have just paid off that 20K loan on New Years Day 2021 (a non banking day) with a lump sum of $6,400.  Therefore the funds exited my bank on Jan 4, 2021. Upon clicking to authorize the ACH payment, I received the notice (not email) which many have (i.e. it can take 5 days to process and, if eligible to reapply, an email will issue).  Today is Jan 06 and I have not received said email nor any email whatsoever confirming the loan is paid.   I have read through these threads continuously and am a bit nervous that I took the leap to make a one time payment as opposed to just letting sales close out the loan.  Of course, I would like to avail myself of another PPWC loan.  That is why I am posting for others to compare against my experience.

As a point of comparison here are my details:  The stats behind the 20K loan were based on me running about 71K in sales through PP in year 2019.  In year 2020 I only ran about 61K through PP in sales (not all my money comes to me through PP.  Many clients pay check, cash, cash app, money order etc.  However, PP is the only way I will process a client's credit card).  Given my line of business I have no use for Ebay so the managed payments is not and will not be a factor in my story. Although my PP sales are down for 2020, my average price per transaction is up 8%.  However, my raw numbers of transactions are down 20%.  In the past 90 days my average price per transaction is up 55% but the number of sales down 35%  (For me, all of this depends on what type of case/client comes through the door. It is variable, e.g. I don't sell widgets continuously at the same price).

Unfortunately for me, at one point in July 2020, my balance somehow went into the negative for something like three dollars and change.  I had to do a bank transfer for $4 to make it solvent again because I didn't know when the next sale would come through to remedy the problem.  As many know, funding your account through your own bank can take days.  So I was negative -$3.58 for something like 4 days.  I mention this only because some say that is an algorithm issue.  I hope it does not present as an issue, as it was 6 months ago and hopefully it falls off the algorithm's purview.

So, as of today there is no reapply "button" and no confirmatory email.  Neither is there a way to access reapply through the FAQ which many have discussed.  Anytime I try to access through FAQ it just ports me back to the PPWC dashboard which shows the loan as "PAID" with $0.00 owing.  Like many, I probably now regret doing a lump sum ACH to close out my most recent loan.  However, I'm not gonna take it back nor attempt to.  I read one post where it was stated that a final lump sum can be reversed.  I just have a gut feeling that doing so would hurt future applications.  Also, I just want to state that I am disheartened to learn that smashing the 90 day minimum through sales doesn't mean a thing.  As for manual payments let me also give more detail:  on this last 20K loan my repay percent was 30%.   That would come out immediately, and then I made the habit for each sale of paying anywhere from $15-45 manually within minutes of the repay percent being captured.  I just figured it was a good practice to pay down quicker.  I wonder if that could mean anything in the algorithm.

So I am cautiously optimistic that in a few days I either get an email saying I am eligible to reapply or that the "button" just reappears.  At the same time, and based on these threads, I am justifiably concerned that even if the "button" were to reappear that I could just get denial code after denial code.  I did expect to have been able to apply again by now since my last two experiences were nearly instantaneous.   I keep telling myself that customers having success don't even bother reading these threads and that is why there are so many posts about denials.

stay tuned.

Login to Me Too

Bamabots
Contributor
Contributor

It usually takes 5 days for PPWC to finalize a loan, whether paid off through sales or pre-payment.  It's even explained in the contract and FAQ.

I've never experienced a quick turn around approval.

As you already know, pre-approval and terms all done through mystical algorithms that PPWC goes to great lengths to conceal.  I don't think a negative balance 6 months ago is the problem.

Go to the FAQ on PPWC webpage and there is a link in under the question of "When can I apply for another loan," or something like that..

Login to Me Too

robynnstorey
Contributor
Contributor

I did a manual payment for my PPWC loan back in March anticipating that it speed things up and I could apply for a new one quickly.  I've had 12 loans totaling nearly a million dollars.  All paid back early, all without issue. It seems like their system doesn't like manual payments...so when I did that, I applied when it cleared and was denied for the first time ever.  It took me 6 months to get a new PPWC loan (September).  This last one, the one I received in Sept, I just paid it off naturally at the end of December and when I got the email saying my loan cleared, I applied and got approved.  I think payments to the PPWC loan from your bank (considered a manual payment) can be an issue.  

RMS4937
Login to Me Too

finlandia5
Contributor
Contributor

Update on my experience (a non-ebay seller)

Overnight (Jan 7, 2021) I got the email stating I was all paid off.   The apply again "button" reappeared.  I clicked it and did the application.  It generated an offer for only $6,500.    Remember:  (1) I manually paid off my last loan with $6,400; and (2)  My previous loan was for $20,000.  Sigh.

Well, I got approved.  So they are lending.  But, this smacks of irony.  They basically lent me back my one time lump sum which I used to pay off the 20K.   My advice to all:  Don't use lump sums to close out the loan.  Just let it pay off naturally through sales.

If anything, at least my post lets people know that you can avert a denial with a lump sum payoff; however, you might not get the amount of capital you really need.

Until next time! 

Login to Me Too

StablerLawnCare
Contributor
Contributor
Oh my god I'm so frustrated with paypal. I've paid off so many loans with them also. I paid my last one off super early. I went all in on it to be able to get another loan. I've been rejected daily. First it was my sales volume. I increased them by 450percent. Then they said I had to reach the 15 grand annual mark. Did that in 2 months. Now they are saying they have no control over it it's their computer. Well guess what paypal we are human. I almost lost everything because of this. I need a truck to run a lawn business. I spent the money I had for one to pay their loan off. It's been 4 months.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.