Virtual Terminal - Error "10551 - We can't process your transaction right now. Try again later."

LauraLegal
New Community Member

Anyone know what this error code is? I'm trying to process a customer payment using Virtual Terminal and that keeps popping up. The code isn't listed in any of the documentation. Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LauraLegal 

Not sure if this is relevant:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/why-did-i-get-api-error-code-10551-ts2248

Maybe info customer gave does not match card (Ie name and billing address)? Something didn't pass the internal security systems.

Please contact customer service for further assistance:

1. Log on.
  2. Click HELP at the top menu.
  3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US.
  4. Scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Temp20220727ae
Contributor
Contributor

We had this error occur yesterday in Virtual Terminal. I finally recalled what I did to resolve this last year when it happened. I changed the selection of the Ship To address from entering the Ship To address, to select the option that the Bill To and Ship To was the same. That was all it took and the transaction processed without any problem. This was for a repeat, trusted customer so no fraud was suspected. The Ship To address was another location for this company.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220727ae
Contributor
Contributor

Addendum to above.  Got the 10551 error again for a different customer today and customer spoke to the credit card company who told her all the information being sent was correct but there was something that was not being sent.  Credit card company suggested it had to do with the address.  Confirmed the address was correct with the customer, then I enabled Bill to and Ship to is the same on the transaction and it processed OK.  This was a VISA card.  Guess you have to think outside the box and try something you would not expect that it would impact the processing of the transaction.

Login to Me Too

JulieCarter
New Community Member

WARNING! I had this issue. I kept the payments aside and tried them two or three times - each time I received message 10551 that said:

10551: We can't process your transaction right now. Try again later.

However. Several customers then contacted me to say the amounts had left their accounts multiple times, even though they had never been approved as a transaction for my PayPal account. So I have a situation where I have tried to process an amount 2 or 3 times, each time unsuccessful and the amount has NOT entered my account. But the 2 or 3 payments have LEFT the account of the customer. Since the payment was never approved by PayPal, at my end it is still outstanding; the customer thinks I have charged them multiple times because the amounts have left their account; and I have not received the funds so am unable to refund. According to the Help line, which I called for help (as if), if Message 10551 appears, you must not try again to process the card; instead you need to contact the customer for alternate payment. Meanwhile, however, the customer will think you have already taken their payment, because on THEIR account the money has been taken out.

Apparently if the payment was not settled, it will return to the customer's account in 72 hours. Great! So now I have at least 3 customers who not only think I've charged them 3 times, they won't get their money returned for 72 hours. And then - I STILL HAVE TO GET PAYMENT FROM THEM. According to the Help line, there is no way for anyone in PayPal to tell me which customers this has affected. It was suggested that I should have kept a record of those I tried several times. Well, I did, because according to my end of the deal, they remained unpaid. But what about a customer for whom Message 10551 initially came up, but then processed on the second attempt without any issue? Their approved payment came into my PayPal account - but did PayPal also take the initial attempt, like it did with the unsuccessful ones? In which case, how do I know out of my 60 or so payments I processed, which ones I had to process twice to get a payment? Once they were paid I simply filed them.

PayPal says there is no interior record of those attempts or the pending payments. Nobody in PayPal has access to that information. As if. My PayPal account only shows the successful transactions. But there is, apparently, nothing I can do. I cannot know who the people are whose money has been taken multiple times by PayPal.

The suggestion was that if I try to process a payment, and Message 10551 appears, I contact the customer for an alternative card and do not try again. EXCEPT - when the message appears the customer will have had the funds removed already, so will think they have paid me. And in 72 hours, when the funds have been returned, I will have to go back to them to ask for payment. What an absolutely appalling system. I don't understand how it can be legally approved, or how anyone else can be doing business with PayPal under these circumstances. 

Login to Me Too

mjaveri

We are losing sales! For about a week now. 

Also tried numerous times on call centre/ message centre/ FB messenger/ email/ Help centre and not getting a solution. 

- Tried multiple cards

- Ensured correct address

This is also being compounded by an issue on our website where the payment gateway is not working. Literally getting a message that says "

We’re Sorry. Things don’t appear to be working at the moment". So basically no payments and wondering if both issues are connected. 

Help!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.