Upgrading the security protocols.

RYAN38
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, first off I am sure this has already been covered somewhere but I can't find the thread anywhere SO here I am 🙂 I was just finalizing a few things on PayPal before I launch a Shopify store. I was then presented with a message saying "All merchants need to upgrade their security protocols." I clicked on the "How  To" link and am totally lost! They want me to upgrade like 10 things that I don't even know what they are or do. So my question is should I put the time in to upgrade my protocols or just wait for the update and start a new account?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

As you are using a hosting service, your Shopify store should be fine.   Most hosting services have already done their updates behind the scenes.   All that you would need to do is ensure that your web browser is up to date, else you may not be able to view some webs sites.  The security update is a web wide thing, it's not just something specific to PayPal.   Below are some details gathered from the internet to help you better understand the updates.

Many web based services including PayPal are or have been updating their site security Transport Layer Security – or TLS – from TLS 1.0 to TLS 1.1. The Transport Layer Security (TLS) is a cryptographic protocol used to establish a secure communications channel between two systems. It is used to authenticate one or both systems, and protect the confidentiality and integrity of information that passes between systems including things as email, Internet faxing, and other data transfers.   To ensure the security of your personal information, your web browser also needs to be compatible with the new protocol. Browsers that don’t support TLS v1.1 or v1.2 will not be able to view any site that has upgraded to TLS 1.1.

The following browsers support the security changes and no action is required on your part:

Internet Explorer 11 (Desktop & Mobile)
    Internet Explorer 8,9,10 (Desktop – Compatible but not enabled by default)
    Firefox 27 and higher
    Google Chrome 38 and higher
    Google Android 5.0 and higher
    Safari 7 on OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) Desktop and higher
    Safari 5 on iOS 5 Mobile and higher
    Edge

The following operating systems are not compatible with TLS 1.1 or higher and it's recommended that you upgrade your operating system to a supported system:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Server 2008
    Server 2003

Notes:
* If you're currently using Internet Explorer 7 or earlier – You must upgrade your browser
* If you're currently using Google Chrome – You must have have Windows 7 or a newer operating system
* If you're currently using Firefox version 26 or earlier – You must have Windows XP Service Pack 2 or newer
* If you're currently using Safari – versions older than 7 on OSX 1.9 (Mavericks) – TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 are not supported, so you must use Google Chrome for MAC

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.