Unable to accept card payments after Card Reader update

thewigster1976
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, i had an email here in UK to say there was a mandatory OS update on my PayPal Here card reader on Tuesday. The update went ok (no errors) but since then I can no longer take card payments (cash or contactless is fine). As soon as you put a card in (tried several) the card reader asks for a PIN but the tablet says card declined and then says transaction cancelled. I have factory reset the card reader and let it do the updates again but same problem.  Tried on my phone and same issue (transaction cancelled) so it seems the card reader is faulty from the update?

If i factory reset the card reader and try again straight away it works fine (using old factory reset OS version M000-MPI-1-41 M000-OS-7-7) - reboot the phone or tablet, which then forces the OS update (M000-MPI-1-53 M000-OS-7-15) it then fails inserting the card . This is used for a gift shop so an urgent fix/replacement required.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Driftworks
Contributor
Contributor

Quick update:

Our card reader sprang back to life over the weekend, so I'm assuming this was resolved server side by paypal.

Still not hugely happy about this as we had no easy way of taking payments over £30 for card present transactions for two days.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Driftworks
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same issue here.

Ran through a series of tests with support yesterday. Apparently they are aware of an issue mainly caused by firmware updates done via apple devices, but we've tried factory resetting and re applying the firmware via android and apple devices. Uninstalling the App, flushing cache etc etc.

So far nothing has worked, Paypal are sending a replacement device, but in the meantime this is incredibly disruptive.

Login to Me Too

thewigster1976
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @Driftworks glad im not the only one having the same issue. 

@PayPal_Olivia - Olivia - can you arrange for someone to send me a new card reader please urgently?

Thanks

David

Login to Me Too
Solved

Driftworks
Contributor
Contributor

Quick update:

Our card reader sprang back to life over the weekend, so I'm assuming this was resolved server side by paypal.

Still not hugely happy about this as we had no easy way of taking payments over £30 for card present transactions for two days.

Login to Me Too

thewigster1976
Contributor
Contributor

Ta for the update - yes ours started working too (no updates to the card reader or app) so defo a fix server side.

Login to Me Too

thewigster1976
Contributor
Contributor

Oddily enough - i just received my replacement card reader - tried it and card declined inserting it (two different cards). Reset to Factory Settings and tried again - still card declined. Think i will stick with my old one for the time being - any more problems with it and i will use my backup one with SumUp full time as that has worked perfectly.

Login to Me Too

thebeautyspot
Contributor
Contributor
This is getting seriously frustrating...nothing I have done seems to correct this issue!!! Help needed ASAP!!!!!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.