US customers, EUR currency

_Jernej_
New Community Member

Hello,

so we're EU company and we're currently accepting payments in EUR currency. We have customers from all over the world.

Recently we've noticed multiple reports of our customers saying they're getting errors like:

- "Sorry, but we couldn't complete your purchase using the payment method you selected. Please add a debit or credit card."

- "Unavailable for this payment."

etc..

Some of them (not all) reported using debit card, but also said they can use them on other online stores.

So my question is, are there any limitations (mostly for US customers) where they would be unable to use their credit card if checkout currency is EUR and not USD?

We can implement solution that would allow them to checkout in USD but we obviously don't want to change our store if that's not the issue.

Any information on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@_Jernej_ 

What country in the EU are you based in, by the way?

If PayPal balance is used, then PayPal checkout system may ask for a card as back up to the balance. With US PayPal accounts, the PayPal balance needs to be converted to a PayPal Cash account in order to use the PayPal balance feature. It can also be an issue with the funding source like if their PayPal Credit line option not available. Honestly, there's a variety of reasons depending on the customer's account...from expired card to the PayPal account is too new and the system thinks amount being spent is too high or some internal security reasons, software that hides IP addresses are used or the user can be outside of their country while using their PayPal account. Customers can wait  and try again later.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.