Trouble with "Cancel", when using a paypal generated Simple Buy now button

PeterPan2
Contributor
Contributor

I've created a couple of simple Paypal "Buy Now" buttons using their interface.  In the section called "Merchant Account IDs",   I select the option to  "Use my secure merchant account ID". I do this intentionally because the INFO link says that that will prevent visitors from seeing my email address. Also, in the advanced options, where you are allowed to specify URLs to return to after a purchase or after a cancel, I do put a valid URL. Well I have a second paypal account which I can use to test the form, after I put it on my web page. So i try it, and I see that  when the visitor is taken to the purchase page, the cancel option says "cancel and return to "<removed>". In other words, the return link shows my paypal primary email address!!! That's NOT good! If I click the link, it does indeed return me to the URL I specified for the cancel option. But I DON'T want my paypal email address  showing in the purchase page!

Can someone suggest a simple modification to the generated form to block that? I do want the visitor to be able to cancel, but I don't want it showing my email address. I guess I could specify an invalid email address, but the last thing I want to do is **bleep** it up so that a visitors purchase doesn't work. Maybe there's a "PAYPAL" variable I can add to prevent my email address from showing?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PeterPan2 

That merchant ID feature is only for protecting the button code itself so certain parts of it cannot be manipulated or seen including your PayPal email address, not to block it from the checkout (purchase) screens as that is not possible unless you have a business account and it uses your business name/logo.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

PeterPan2
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

That merchant ID feature is only for protecting the button code itself so certain parts of it cannot be manipulated or seen including your PayPal email address, not to block it from the checkout (purchase) screens as that is not possible unless you have a business account and it uses your business name/logo.

I appreciate that help, but it doesn't make sense really for two reasons. First, according to paypal (its been so long since I started the account that I had to call and ask them), my account IS considered a business account. Second, I've tried re-editing the button using the paypal tool, and it doesn't matter whether I specify that the form should use my "primary email address" OR my paypal ID... neither option changes the generated code, and neither option affects whether or not the email shows up.

I had asked paypal whether there was a "paypal variable" I could use to alter it, and all they tell me is to contact a private developer. That kind of stinks because I have developed my own web sites for quite a while, and I'm asking for information specific to PAYPAL. But that's what I was hoping to discover here in the community.

Anyway, for now what I've done for is I specified one of my alternate paypal addresses I have registered with the them, which I don't mind being "spammed". But it is pretty stupid that PAYPAL says they are trying to help me avoid spam, and won't even hide the email address.  I buy from ebay sellers all the time via paypal, and neither paypal nor ebay displays a direct email of the seller.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.