Testing a paypal button

hfuhruhurr
Contributor
Contributor

When I create a button (via the merchant login) none of the help/further information links work - they all divert to a generic help page.

It seems like the basic button is being replaced by an API and so the help is geared to that and not the simple html button.

OK, so my question. I have my button. How do I test it? A the moment the form submits to https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr is there a sandbox alternative I can use to test submission and response?

Thanks, sorry if this is simplistic but the number of links broken on the UK site is unbelievable.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

The basic item button you can create with online button creator is an HTML Form, this is assuming you're using PayPal's Payments Standard.   If using Payments Pro or Express Checkout, then you would probably start using APIs at some point.   As for testing, if you "setup a Sandbox Account", you can create basic item buttons or more advanced code and test the entire process there before going live.   If you just have one button or two that you created via your account using the online button creator and wanted to test one live, one option is to invite a friend or family member to try it, you can sit with them, go through the entire process so you can see how things work and last, go through the refund process.  

Note, you can't test in the Sandbox without setting up a Sandbox Account first - simply changing the URL to the Sandbox won't work on it's own.  You would need to setup an account, then create both a Sandbox seller account and a Sandbox buyer account.  The Sandbox will assign each account an email address (which only works in the Sandbox) to both buyer and seller.   And you can also generate credit card numbers that will only work in the Sandbox.

Login to Me Too

hfuhruhurr
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

I had the impression that the sandbox was for the API version, I'll try the basic button and see how I go.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.