Serious issues with PayPal payments issued from Shopify on 7/11/2020

UnFrumpy

I always thought PayPal was a fairly hands off, well run platform until Today (7/11/2020), but now I see that it has some serious issues!  I've been a PayPal customer for many years, and just recently opened a business account on PayPal and connected it to my Shopify store.  About 30% of payments on my Shopify store are from PayPal, so it is an important form of Payment.  Normally PayPal transactions from my Shopify store run very smoothly through PayPal.  Usually, when somebody pays via PayPal, i see the money in my PayPal account in minutes.  On 7/11/2020, I noticed that this did not happen with two orders.  In fact the money DIDN'T SHOW UP AT ALL, even though Shopify registered the transaction and had all the transaction details.    Here's where the problems and my disappointment with PayPal started.  Although it was Sunday, I was able to get in touch w/Shopify almost immediately and discuss this with a customer service rep via chat.  Of course, they directed me to PayPal.  The PayPal "chat" feature was useless as it was an unmanned chatbot that was a complete waist of time, so I decided to try calling.  IT WAS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET SOMEONE ON THE PHONE AT PAYPAL.  The automated system "hung up" on me several times and told me that there were no reps available.  The automated system also did not register my phone number and did not recognize my business account.  After calling back a dozen times after being hung up on, I was finally able to talk to a human.  I actually called twice - one initial call and a follow-up call, and both times it was almost impossible to get through their automated phone "gatekeeper".   Once I got a human on the phone, they were nice enough, but didn't really have a resolution other than to say that it was happening to other Shopify users and that the technicians were looking into it.  My account was added to an internal PayPal ticket CSTS21294.  There was no real resolution, or explanation provided as to why this happened.  Pretty serious considering that these are "lost" financial transactions.  A couple of hours later, PayPal / Shopify integration did start working again, but I still didn't have my money from the two orders that were "missed".  As of writing this post I'm still waiting on that money and a resolution.  Again pretty scary from an accounting perspective that this is even possible and that PayPal is this "brittle".  What if I had a lot of orders that morning and missed this?? PayPal needs to do better!!!  I waisted the better part of my Sunday tracking these issues.  

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

meoww999
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

That sounds very similar to my problems I have had today but I am using Weebly e-commerce website.  I have the orders and they have transaction ID's allocated to them but neither ID exists anywhere.  Neither myself or the customers received the Paypal payment received/sent email and there is no sign of either payment in mine or my customers activity.  Paypal help online haven't been much help as of yet and seem to have stopped answering my replies!

Did you get it sorted?  Will the payments leave my customers bank account at all or do I need to request alternative payment?  I am a new starter business and so really ciuld do without this hassle when trying to provide excellent customer service!

Login to Me Too

UnFrumpy

Hi - This sounds the same as my issue.  Shopify recorded all the transaction details, but no emails went out.  My two transactions were at 7 AM and 11 AM EST in the United States.  It is working now, but there was some type of "glitch" during this time period, and I still don't have money from those two transactions.  I you call their customer support number you can have your issue added to the ticket.  Call [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]to add your issue to TICKET# CSTS21294.  Note their phone systems seem to be "off and on" today, but if you call several times or register say it is for fraud you should be able to get through.

Login to Me Too

UnFrumpy

Google the PayPal customer support number to call them.  

Login to Me Too

meoww999
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Weirdly 1 of the payments has just gone through some 10 hours later so will wait to see if the other one goes through overnight then call them.  It is really frustrating as the service isn't cheap and bad customer experiences for a fledgling company can really count against me!

Thanks again

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.