Received credit card verification required on API, but customer got charged

schoolkitz
Contributor
Contributor

This has been happening on and off for several years, and I can't get anyone from Paypal to even understand the issue, let alone help me (I had emailed them back and forth multiple times, and then they have no idea what to do so they'd close the ticket.)

Here're 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1: After the customer puts a credit card in our checkout page, PayPal sends back a code stating that something is wrong with the credit card. We'd then display an error page to our customer stating that the order cannot be processed due to a credit card issue. The customer will then re-enter their credit card, and the order will then go through. But then the customer will get charged twice.

Scenario 2: After the customer puts a credit card in our checkout page, PayPal sends back a code stating that something is wrong with the credit card. We'd then display an error page to our customer stating that the order cannot be processed due to a credit card issue. The customer abandons the shopping cart. Yet, the charge goes through in PayPal, which we do not know about, and customer will call us later stating that why didn't we fulfill the order since the credit card went through. On our end, the order did NOT go through so we do not know that the charge went through on PayPal.

This will happen only periodically. I don't know where the broken link is. I've been trying to get PayPal to assist so this does not happen again. We have unhappy customers mad at us for not fulfilling their orders or charging them twice. Unfortunately, there is no simple way to reconcil EVERY SINGLE ORDERS again EVERY SINGLE CREDIT CARD TRANSACTION. The ordering person's name may not match what's displayed on PayPal (husband and wife having same cc number, for example), so we have to manually match up orders to paypal transactions.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.