PayPal has helped someone scam me.

Otsogile
Contributor
Contributor

A few weeks back i got contacted by a buyer on whatsapp (he got my contact from my facebook page). What i do is i connect sellers and buyers within China and outside China, so this buyer says he is an agent he sell phones in Italy he wants to send me money on PayPal then i send the phones he bought from me directly to his client. He provided me the shipping address, names and contacts of the so called "client" then he sent me the money i then bought phones and sent them to address he provided, just a few minutes after the items were delivered i get a notification from PayPal that he said he did not receive them. Paypal then locked my account, after a sending everything to PayPal and screenshots of the conversation of him telling me to send the goods to the address he gave me they rejected all the information that i gave to them and went ahead and refunded the person. So PayPal helped someone scam me. I have lost both the phones and my money.

What am i supposed to do here? I have lost a whole lot of money and as it stands i do not think Paypal is going to do anything about it, since they literally helped someone scam me.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Otsogile 

In order to have seller protection, you need to ship to the shipping address on the payment as well as have proof of delivery. Did you do that? If not, then your transaction do not meet the requirements for protection. Its like as seller in this transaction, you had no power and did what some stranger told you to do. Need to always follow Seller protection basic and additional requirements to letter to receive seller protection and develop best selling practices in order for the protection to work. PayPal probably looked at the case and followed their policy. They don't look at screenshots and convos.

PayPal didn't help someone scam you, you helped someone scam you. And it's the nicest I can say it because I am using all my willpower to not go off on you.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Otsogile
Contributor
Contributor

I did not send to the address he gave to me on PayPal.

Here is why, he told me that he is an agent he buys and sells things to people in Italy and that now he is hospitalized, but want to buy phones from me and i ship them to his client address. Because i am always doing this in China, this was not new to me i went ahead and sent the phones to the address he provided on , WhatsApp even confirmation that his client received the phones  is there in our messages but claims an LCD screen is not there which i am 100%  sure i sent it. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Otsogile 

Oh man, this buyer has stories a mile long, "Oh I'm in hospital". Some scammers say they are working on an oil rig. Or traveling overseas at the moment. PayPal went by policy, you have to ship to address on the payment, if it don't match, refund the money and have them send it again and add the correct address. Repeat until the buyer gets it right. And deduct the flat rate portion that PayPal keeps on every refund.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Otsogile
Contributor
Contributor

I told him to just refund me the money for the phones then since he is claiming that he did not receive the LCD but now he blocked on me Whatsapp, i tried calling his number my calls are going direct to voice mail, i will hand it to him he played me well and  i was naive. I believe he has been doing this to other sellers. Now the only proof i have is our conversations which as you as saying are worthless. Is there anything i can possibly do here? or i should just accept i have lost $2700? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.