PayPal Service Charge - Additional Foreign Transaction Fees

sailorus
New Community Member

I used my Chase Sapphire Reserve card to make a purchase. Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card "Pay no foreign transaction fees when you use your card on purchases made outside the United States." Why PayPal charges additional foreign transaction fees covered by the Chase Sapphire Reserve card?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sailorus

When you use a credit card as the payment method, PayPal ask you to choose who performs the currency conversion:

• If you choose PayPal, PayPal can show you the conversion rate at the time of the transaction
  • If you choose the credit card association currency conversion, your card issuer will determine the foreign exchange rate to apply to the transaction. You will not be informed of the foreign exchange rate or any additional foreign exchange fees applied until you are billed by your card issuer

So when you check out next time, click “Currency Conversion Options” or click the conversion rate to choose who does the conversion.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.