PayPal Debit Card Rejected in Physical Stores - Works Fine Online

tguenter
Contributor
Contributor

My PayPal Business Debit Card was recently replaced because my original started acting up (the chip would only work about 1 time out of 10 attempts) 

I've activated my new card like usuall but now I cannot use it in physical stores. It comes back with a generic decline. I can, however, use it to pay for things online. What can I do to troubleshoot this issue?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Miracle-Marge
Contributor
Contributor
Me too! Get's rejected at the store but not when ordering online. I see you never got an answer so did you figure it out by any chance? I don't have a business account ... just a personal account but I have my preferred method of payment through my checking account where there is money but the debit card won't work when I'm physically out. Any help you can give would be wonderful! Thank you! ☺️
Login to Me Too

tguenter
Contributor
Contributor

My solution was to stop using PayPal debit card.

If anyone knows why this is happening please let us know.

Login to Me Too

Miracle-Marge
Contributor
Contributor

Well, that's a darn shame that we can't even use this paypal debit card they send us!? 🙄 I'll have to research it more when I have some time I guess.  Until then I'm not going to be able to use mine either.  What a waste!  I'll def let you know if I can find any answers and hope you'll do the same.

Thanks! 😉

Login to Me Too

Dreamstone1212
New Community Member
Dang neither one of you figured out how to get our cards to work in the stores.. my chip on the card won’t work and when I swipe it act’s up at time’s too
Login to Me Too

tguenter
Contributor
Contributor

I'm afraid I have some good and bad news.... my card works again. I didn't do anything to fix this, it just seems to be working now. I stopped using my PayPal card for over 7 months because of this problem and just the other day I absent-minded-ly  used my PayPal debit card to pay for a USPS shipment via card reader... and it worked!

So the good news is this problem is resolved for me. The bad news is I have no idea what the original issue was, nor do I have a fix other than, "Maybe it will fix itself after 6 months?"

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is, perhaps the PayPal card did not like my funding source. I have a The Bancorp Bank (Chime) account as the funding source and for some reason, *AT THE TIME*, I vaguely recall that PayPal would have intermittent troubles using that funding source. I don't know why. Maybe PayPal temporarily blocked The Bancorp Bank transactions at one point and have now since removed the block.

The only reason I doubt this "bad funding source" explanation is because my PP card would be rejected completely, if PP didn't like the funding source then they would have moved on to my backup funding source (which does NOT have troubles), right...?

Anyways, good luck to you two. Try your cards again, see anything has changed for you.

EDIT:

Dreamstone1212 - Do you mean your chip is broken? That happened to all of my PP cards. Request a new card and your EMV chip should start working again. It's annoying having to attempt payment multiple times just so you can swipe with the magstrip... try getting a replacement. They're free I think.

Login to Me Too

Miracle-Marge
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much for letting me know that your card is working again. And the details of maybe why it wasn't to begin with. I will try it again but since then I'm just using my debit card or credit cards because I got you frustrated. Thanks again and God bless you!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.