Lost sold item sent to the wrong country / seller protection?

Keithhb
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone!

I sold an item via facebook marketplace, and sent out the parcel from the UK to someone in Finland on the 29th of April. The item in question was a sold item which was worth about £180, and was sent via tracked and signed post.

Everything was okay until one day, when checking the tracking number it said the item had arrived in THAILAND. Im 100% sure i wrote the address properly, and even the receipt states the correct post code and everything, so i dont understand how it could have ended up in Thailand. I have since been in touch with both the buyer and my postal service, but to be quite frank Im really worried.

A while ago, i contacted Royal Mail and after waiting for over an hour I finally got in touch with someone who basically told me that in mid may the item had arrived at Helsinki, but it doesnt show up in the tracking updates at all. He then told me to file a claim for delayed postage, and that the item would arrive to the recipient soon. However, theres still no new updates and the item hasnt arrived.

I basically just got back from filing a claim online for a lost item and im finding out that when the original value of the item was listed in the £180s , they will only be compensating me with £50. Which is not even half of the value of the item in the first place.

So of course the plan was to file the claim and if it was accepted and the item was 100% lost, refund the buyer with the money. But they're claiming to only refund me £50 if they decide to do so.... And i dont know what to do about this? The money i received from the item has since been used here at home for necessary stuff that we needed since we're all out of work due to the pandemic, and Im not sure.. How this is going to turn out if it item is really lost.

I understand this is my fault for not insuring the item properly but to be fully honest, this has NEVER happened to me before, and none of my parcels have ever been lost, especially with tracked and signed postage So i really dont know what to do. The original transaction was made through paypal, would paypal cover anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.