Items that don't require shipping charges

Scott97
Contributor
Contributor

While we have some items that require shipping charges (we use a cost based system), we have others, such as membership dues and event registration that don't require shipping but I can't seem to separate the two. 

Is there a clear way to separate the two?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Scott97
Contributor
Contributor

Never mind, I figured it out.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

Scott97
Contributor
Contributor

Never mind, I figured it out.

Login to Me Too

LRBoos
Contributor
Contributor

Well, this is really a "BS" solution:  "Never mind, I figured it out".  

I'm really disappointed that Paypal doesn't let us configure an item that we're selling as a service or a product.  This should be a check within the button generator to allow us to make the designation.  Then I wouldn't have to click "Get Your Money" on each incoming purchase for the ONLY thing we sell online, which is our annual membership renewal dues.

This is really disappointing and shows me that Paypal is primarily set up to service sellers of widgets that must be shipped to the buyer, rather than sellers of membership dues (or other services that don't require shipping).  Are we the forgotten orphaned children that are a pain to deal with?

And, it also demonstrates, despite me talking to Paypal customer service, that Paypal doesn't want to do anything for us sellers that would in any way expedite the receipt of our funds without making it "inconvenient" for the seller to do so.  I've been advised to push the "Get My Money" button on each of the 100's of incoming transactions coming from our membership of 700+ members.

OK, so I do the "Get My Money" routine hundreds of times.  What is happening behind the scenes out of my control as the seller?  Is paypal now messaging each of my buyers asking them to "confirm" that they've really "received" the product I took their money for?  What does the message say?  What happens if my customers ignore it?  Is any of this indicated to me, the seller?

It really leaves me with the mindset to look into other solutions for next year.

Login to Me Too

Scott97
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry about that, I was looking for a way to delete my question. Let me explain in case anyone else is having the problem.

For our merchandise we set up shipping according to total, ie. $.01 to $4.00 = $1.50 shipping, $4.01 to $15.00 = $4.00 shipping, etc. The problem was membership and event registration was also charging shipping. We actually set up another Paypal account that had no shipping. Since we're trying to merge accounts, I was determined to find a way. I set up a button with drop down for 1 year, 2 year, 3 year and life memberships with pricing and set the shipping to $0. I then made a mock sale with a few items that had shipping and a 1 year membership. The Paypal total only charged shipping for the merchandise.

Hope that helps

I'm still working with the legacy buttons so I'm not sure if it's any easier with the new style.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.