Important: Required Software Update for PayPal Here Card Reader (UK merchants)

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

At PayPal we strive to always provide you with seamless and secure methods to accept payments for your business. As part of this, we periodically need to make updates to our software.

We would like to inform you that on Tuesday, 9th July 2019 we will be pushing a required software update for the PayPal Here Card Reader for UK merchants*.

Why is this update required?

With the rapid growth of contactless payments in the UK, we’re updating our card reader software to deliver even more reliable payment experiences for your customers.

When do I have to make the update?

The update will be pushed on Tuesday, 9th July, 2019 starting at 02:00 AM BST. We highly recommend that you make this update prior to opening for business and conducting sales to ensure that you don’t experience an interruption in the ability to accept payments. 

What do I need to do?

Before using PayPal Here to accept payments on Tuesday, 9th July, please follow these simple steps:

1. Log out from app you use to take payments and re-log in again; action this step even if you are already logged in.
  2. Make sure that your mobile device or tablet are paired with your PayPal Here Card Reader.
  3. Follow the prompts that will guide you through the software update.

The process can take up to 10 minutes** and we recommend you use a Wi-Fi connection for a faster upgrade.

Before you begin the update, please ensure that your mobile device or tablet and card reader are charged and connected to a power source. While the update is in progress, do not minimise the app or perform any other touch-screen actions on your mobile device or tablet. After the update has completed you will be all set and can resume taking transactions.

If you have questions or concerns, our Customer Support team is ready to help. Please visit the following webpage: https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/contact-us and click on the “Call Us” button.

* This update will not impact M003 card reader users (white card reader)

** Depending on wi-fi connectivity

FAQs

I have opened the PPH App but do not see any update come through.

1. Make sure you log out and log back into the app, to start an “active” session.

2. Check whether the app is connected to the card reader via Bluetooth. This can be checked in the “Settings” of your mobile phone as well as in the App by clicking Card Readers > Find and Connect to Reader.

3. Check whether the card reader is not already updated to the latest version. In order to check this, log into the PayPal Here App > Card Readers > click on the PPH card reader connected to the App at the top of the screen > check the “OS Version”. If the OS Version is “M000-OS-7-15” then the reader is up to date and does not need any additional action.

4. If you still do not see the update at this point, it might be because you have you have a point-of-sale app  which only connects the reader to the device once a transaction is initiated. Therefore, you should log out and log back into your point-of-sale app as well as initiate a “test” transaction in order to prompt the update.

Can the update be postponed to a different time?

No, unfortunately the update will have to be completed once it is prompted in order to be able to continue to accept payments.

Why do I need to update my card reader? What will change?

This update will make the payment experience more reliable; nothing will change in the way the reader is operated or accepts payments. The updating process resembles previous updates already experienced, but given the expected running time (8-9 minutes), it is advisable to go through it before beginning the business day.

Can I perform any other activity on my mobile device while the update is taking place?

It is advisable that both mobile device and card reader are not used and plugged into a power source until the update is fully completed.

Does the update affect all mobile devices?

Yes, the update will affect both iOS and Android devices.

I use the PPH reader though a partner integration, do I still have to complete the update?

Yes, the update will be prompted to all PPH users with the newest version of the partner integration. The older partner integration (which is still used by Salmon, Worldline, BrightPearl and Predict Spring), though, will not prompt the update. In this case, if you use any of these integrations you should not connect your mobile devices directly to the PPH app, otherwise it might compromise the usability of the reader.

Will the update work if launched without a wi-fi connection?

Yes, the update can also be performed when the mobile device is connected to a 4G connection. Nevertheless, a wi-fi connection might be more stable and reliable to perform the update of the card reader.

Can the update be reversed?

No, once the update has been completed, it will not be possible to revert the card reader to an earlier version of the software. Even pressing the factory reset button will not restore the previous OS.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

patwadd
Contributor
Contributor

Likewise...

I missed a call from the engineer (a week ago) and he never phoned back. I too have solved my problem by going to SumUp instead.

Login to Me Too

Universe999
Contributor
Contributor
Software update
Login to Me Too

bendog
Contributor
Contributor

I have opened a ticket regarding the failed update to my card reader which, like many, just sits at "Installing update 1/2"  I am about to help a friend at a FOUR DAY event and it is really important that my reader is working by this time tomorrow!!!

Login to Me Too

bendog
Contributor
Contributor

No change and just an email acknowledging my ticket - no solution!!

Login to Me Too

bendog
Contributor
Contributor

The suggested "solution" is that I try to update using a different "device" - does this mean that they are suggesting that I buy a new phone just to hope that it MIGHT work? The email I received suggested that some people had to try 2 or 3 different devices!!! I do not have one other device to try - why would I? This is, obviously, a problem that they are aware of and are happy to take the increased fees that it costs to manually input customer details rather than ensure a successful outcome for their customers! I am not happy!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.