IPN failing

anglonz99
New Community Member

Hi,

I have setup a Paypal payment system for our new charity website using the Formidable Forms Paypal add-on on our Wordpress site. Payments made through the new website go through fine, the IPN works and all is well there. As far as I can tell the formidable Paypal adds-on overwrites the IPN listener https://mywebsite.com/paypal_IPN every time a payment is made (according to the add-on's docs - it just instructed me to add that URL in my Paypal account IPN settings).

However, we are receiving the following warning emails from Paypal:

** start email quote***

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). Instant Payment Notifications sent to the following URL(s) are failing:
https://mywebsite.com/paypal_IPN 
If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account. 
*** end email quote***

As far as I can tell (correct me if you think I may be wrong), these are being caused by previous recurring payments that were made using Paypal buttons on our old site (which I had nothing to do with and IPN wasn't turned on in Paypal for). I have hunted the internet high and low for a solution to this, and the only 3 potential solutions I came across were 1) cancel every historical recurring payment and then setup under the new website (i.e. ask our donors to create a new recurring payment again - not an ideal solution and could result in many of our current donors dropping off) or 2) create a 'dummy' IPN listener at the URL mentioned in the email, so that a correct response is received and 3) Disable the IPN.

Options 3 is not feasible as I need the IPN response to then trigger subsequent actions on my website. Option 1, as mentioned, may result in lost donations and option 2 is beyond me (I'm using existing plugins to achieve my objectives, I'm not a programmer!).

Does anyone have any advice, help with option 2, or a different solution (or perhaps know of a different cause of the problem)?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.