I tried to test a donation button and it blew up in my face!

Sheilla1
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, that was a vent but not far from the truth.

I've used PayPal for 20 years and recently set up a nonprofit. I attempted to add a donation button to the webpage (that part worked, the button shows up) but when I tried to test it by making a donation, PayPal rejected it though I was signed in from my personal and not the nonprofit business account. I'm completely confused at this point. Does this mean I'll no longer be able to use PayPal for personal donations or payments, or does it mean my button's messed up, or something else entirely?  I've spent hours trying to get everything set up and thought I finally had it. I'm in tears and can't get a person on chat or the phone.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sheilla1 

You weren't already logged in when you tried to test it right? Log off of all accounts first, then test. It shouldn't affect you making donations with personal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sheilla1 

You weren't already logged in when you tried to test it right? Log off of all accounts first, then test. It shouldn't affect you making donations with personal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Sheilla1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response @sharpiemarker   I tried again to make a test donation and this time used a card I have on file rather than PayPal credit and it went through that time. I finally got a callback from PayPal and they said that it didn't let the donation go through under my default PayPal credit payment method because PayPal doesn't allow you to make donations to yourself and it identified my personal account and linked it with the nonprofit. That still doesn't quite explain why my card worked, but at least the button seems to be working to accept credit cards. They said if others try to donate with PayPal credit they shouldn't be affected.  I think I was logged out of both accounts when I first tried to donate but then logged into my personal account so it could more easily identify me.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.