I have used the donation button once, do I need to prove charity status for other funds?

SameeraBandara
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I have used the donation button tool of my account on my website. There is condition on using it that says I must prove my charity status once I reach $10,000 (I haven't passed it yet). Does this apply only for funds raised using that button?

I'm planning to stop using the donation button and use a normal purchase button instead. What I'm worried is if that $10k restriction (to prove charity status) will apply when I try to withdraw funds I collect in the future (because I've used the donation button once).

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

If your intent is Personal Fundraising the statement "Fundraisers that are not verified nonprofits will be asked to demonstrate how their donations will be used, once they raise more than $10,000".   I believe the statement means that you have to show proof of how the funds are used - not that you have be a registered charity or set one up.   Regardless if you are using a an actual Donation item button or one of the other types, if you're doing Personal Fundraising and you're asking people to give money for a cause, at some point you may be required to show documentation as to what's being done with the money.

Login to Me Too

SameeraBandara
Contributor
Contributor

I am not trying to raise funds anymore. I have recieved one donation through the donation button I created. But now I'm accepting payments for a service through a buy now button (On the same website if it helps). My question is if that $10k threshold applies to the money that gets into my account through the new button.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.