I am unable to pair my new PayPal HERE Chip and Tap Reader to my iPhone

djmichaelk
New Community Member

I have an iPhone 8 running IOS 11.3 and I'm trying to pair my brand new PayPal HERE Chip and Tap Reader. Pairing is unsuccessful. Message says device not supported (see attached screen shot)Image-1.jpg

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

PayPal_Donna

Hello djmichaelk,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear that happened. What I recommend is getting in touch with our PayPal Here team directly. 

-Donna

Login to Me Too

SteveRamos
Contributor
Contributor

The phone numbers shown direct you to a cruise-line sales scam-athon. Nice...

Login to Me Too

Carolep7598

Did you get this resolved?  I’m having the same issue on my iPhone 6.

Login to Me Too

Sealilly
Contributor
Contributor

Following, same here on an Iphone 6. I have the Paypal Chip Card Reader connected fine, but cant connect to new Chip and Tap Reader.

Login to Me Too

ChefFlo
I don’t know if you’ve solved your problem yet. If not, I’ve finally figured it out. You must connect your new Chip reader via the PayPal Here app and NOT through the smart device’s Bluetooth settings.
Login to Me Too

Nacho475
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for this answer!!! I finally got it to work. You would think that PayPal would publish this somewhere in their packaging or instructions. I would have never thought to look at the menu icon on the top left and scroll all the way to "have a new reader?"

Thanks again!!

Login to Me Too

thingsbuilt
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me, THANKS!

I had to open the PayPal Here app on my phone, then go to my Settings (iphone 7) and make sure the Bluetooth was on,

(of course it was, but it wasn't detecting anything), and then go back into the Paypal Here App, and I basically tried to do a trial run of a $5 charge, which stopped because I "wasn't connected to a reader"...

then I somehow found a tiny symbol on the upper LEFT of my phone screen (just some lines), and I clicked on them, and I was given a MENU. At the end of the menu there was "Do You Have a new Card Reader?"  Um, yes...

THAT is where you want to be. Follow their directions and only then will you be connected to the Card Reader via Apple bluetooth.

Of course, I was asked to "update" some firmware or some IOS... and then after that,

my trial run charge of $5 from my bank account was ready... make sure you know how to insert the CHIP end of the card, and keep the Reader close to the phone (like hold it to the back). It may not have a very strong bluetooth signal... but it should work out for you. 

Basically, you have to go to Paypal's own App to get the Bluetooth Card Reader connected, ignoring iphone's standard way of getting Bluetooth connected.

It would be lovely if Paypal told us this up front, instead of wasting half an evening. Isn't our time worth money too?

Login to Me Too

sbellep36
New Community Member

Fabulous - thanks!

Login to Me Too

EFiscella
New Community Member

I have a new chip, card reader for paypal Here and cannot connect my reader to phone via bluetooth. Iphone 8-plus running IOS 12. Did anyone have success connecting. What did you need to do?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.