How to get real help with a technical issue?

SupArtMag
Contributor
Contributor

When downloading an IIF report of account activity that includes a payment I made that was later reversed, the IIF file does not contain the original debit to my account, only the credit when the transaction was reversed. This of course causes my reported/imported account balance to be incorrect.

Is there any way to actually get this information into the hands of someone at PayPal who knows what they're talking about? I tried customer support, but - as is all too common - received a completely useless copy/paste boilerplate reply that had absolutely NOTHING to do with the issue I had raised. Just a bunch of stock blah blah about how to generate a report. 

Is it too much to ask that PayPal actually READ a messages, THINK about what the message says, and respond appropriately, perhaps by forwarding to someone with a higher level of technical competence? I suppose it is, and so we are left on our own when something isn't implemented correctly. However, if someone knows a better channel, I'd be grateful to know.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

You can try this PayPal extended history link. I don't know if this will work for a business account.

Using the more filters option for reversals does show the original debit for the transaction. Unfortunately, I don't see any option to export this specific data.

Here is the PayPal link. 

https://www.paypal.com/history

Login to Me Too

SupArtMag
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. The history screen and its filters enable various ways of looking at transactions, but this isn't what I'm talking about. On screen, I can see everything. No problem.

I'm talking about exporting / downloading in IIF format. There's 3 types of transaction types: (a) All Transactions, (b) Completed Transactions, and (c) Balance Affecting. I tried all three using the same date range.

Using file comparison tools, I verified that all three produce exactly the same output. In all three, the credit to my account from the reversal is present, as expected. The original debit from my account is not.  How can I expect my account to balance when the transaction that offsets a reversal is missing? This is Accounting 101 stuff that's messed up.

Login to Me Too

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

You could try the PayPal Merchant Technical Support Community or possibly Quickbooks support. 

Here is the link for the PayPal MTS Community.

https://www.paypal-community.com/mts

I'm sorry I could not be more helpful.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.