cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Managed Payments

Contributor

Ebay Managed Payments

I have been informed this morning by Ebay UK that they will be starting to move sellers onto the Managed Payments system and that by the end of 2020 all payments will be paid directly into our bank account and no longer will be paid into Paypal.

How will this affect those of us who are using Paypal Working Capital loans that depend on the payments going into our Paypal account?

35 REPLIES 35
Contributor

Re: Ebay Managed Payments

Had the same  - in fact have now had two emails from Ebay this morning concerning their new "managed payments".   I'm hoping that Paypal will still be an option as majority of my buyers seem to prefer that : (      Certainly don't want Ebay controlling my business' payments - can only be a disaster !    Hope Paypal will be able to work an alternative method to cover Working Capital if this is forced upon us !

Contributor

I have been doing some checking into this and found that buyers will be able to use credit/debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay AND Paypal!! What is not clear is that if a customer pays by Paypal where that payment will go.

Does it go direct to Ebay or will it go to the seller's  Paypal account, I suspect the former?

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Contributor

This is a question for me as well, and I resent that this 'solution'  (What was the problem?) is basically being forced on eBay Sellers. As far as I can tell the only 'advantage' is that eBay will hold the payments for a couple of days before sending them on to the bank, or hopefully Paypal. Will there be an additional fee? I have no idea. Sound like just another wild plan. With eBay I'm always reminded of when I was a kid hanging out with friends and one of us would be like 'Oh, I've got a GREAT idea!!!' Usually it wasn't. Anyone that has definite information, please share.

Contributor

it's  an invitation believe it or not not a requirement 

Contributor

eBay has definitely made it sound like a requirement to me. In a recent e-mail they state 'You are required to register for managed payments by July 15, 2020. To ensure that your sales continue uninterrupted, and no restrictions are applied to your account, please be sure to register before your account is activated starting late July'

DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS ON ebay or you will automagically be signed up for it. And there seems like not way to turn it off. Time for ebay to be investigated as a monopoly as they are now officially acting like one.

We need an alternative. I am going to cancel my auctions if I cannot turn this monstor back off. Fortunately it is a hobby business and while I like the income I would rather do with out than put up with extortion. I know that isn't true for everyone.

Paypal needs to sue.

Contributor

can someone help me i am a buyer and im getting **bleep** and the seller sent me the wrong item big time like 200 dollar difference in items. ebay has my money seller issued a refund but now i dont have it at all and they did it through the case that was closed by paypal automatically the day it opened so is my money lost 

Contributor

I have been trying to find out some more information as I am in the same boat as most people in relation to servicing the Working Capital Payback.

Australia is taking up the same system as the UK Ebay, so there is going to be a lot more resentment on what Ebay are doing and taking 2 days to transfer the funds to my account.
Not sure about the UK, but a transfer from Paypal Account to my bank in Australia is now between 12-24 hrs (except for weekends)

I have put a request into Paypal to try and get some answers on what it will affect in the way we trade with them.
I have an ebay shop and a website that are both run independently, but at present 95% of my sales come via Ebay, so the small amount that my website generates would not be enough to service the Paypal Working Capital loan I have.

I will post any info I get from Paypal from the reply to my message to them.

Contributor

we received  a frightening email  saying this also from ebay but we noticed it wasn't  exactly spelled  out so we asked an ebay employee  in the ebay community  and here's  what we asked and also the answer(notice the word invite and also we didn't  get a direct answer  to any questions so i'm pretty sure this is just a trick to get me to bite the hook think i'm good till 2023 sigh of relief) here question and answer.

QUESTION: Is changing to managed payments a requirement with a deadline of July 2020 inaction of making this change,even though we use Paypal,would mean cessation of buyers being able to pay us?

If there isn't  a cessation what would the actual deadline be?

Might it be July of 2023 doesn't eBay have an agreement until then?

Don't  see it spelled out in direct terms and would very much appreciate as direct answers on those questions you can give.

respectfully maw's

ANSWER:  As blank stated if you received the invite you should plan to register by July. Sellers will be required to transition in groups, so not all sellers will receive the invitation. If you didn't receive an invite, don't worry. If you did, plan to register by end of July. 

Thanks.

Blank

(no doubt it's  clear it's an invitation the rest is word salad,this was a very deceptive tactic to get sellers to switch  to managed payments in my opinion and to do this at this time WOW)