Do refunds cancel subscriptions?

JayUk77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

If someone requests a refund for the second year of their subscription to my service which I authorise, is the subscription then automatically cancelled and won't be taken again in year 3?

Many thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

JayUk77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @PayPal_Olivia 

Thank you, this makes sense and yes - the majority are users who did not realise we offer a year subscription service (despite us making this clear on the initial account creation screen).

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @JayUk77,

Thank you for that question. If you cancel the subscription in your account, it will not charge again. Similarly, if they cancel it on their end from within their account, it will not charge again. If they're contacting you directly to request cancellation of the subscription, you should make the change on your end.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

JayUk77
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @PayPal_Olivia that is helpful, however in this scenario the question relates to refunds only.

User requests refund for automatic (year 2) payment via their PayPal control panel >> I receive an email from PayPal requesting authorisation of refund >> I click the link in the email and land in my PayPal control panel >> I click authorise refund - Has this cancelled the user's subscription so payment will no-longer be taken in year 3?

Thank you

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @JayUk77,

I apologize for misunderstanding! The authorization of the refund would not itself cancel the subscription, but it's a best practice to communicate with the subscriber and ask if they are looking to do so. Typically, a request for a refund is a result of someone not realizing that they have been subscribed, and/or no longer wishing to be subscribed.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
Solved

JayUk77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @PayPal_Olivia 

Thank you, this makes sense and yes - the majority are users who did not realise we offer a year subscription service (despite us making this clear on the initial account creation screen).

Thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @JayUk77,

I'm very glad I could help!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.