Damage to card reader detected message on on my Paypal here card reader

AAlSafi

I had this error message today. What is gutting is that I have only used it on less than four occasions. I had kept it stored in my cupboard, in its own case for some time.  It has not been subjected to any abnormal conditions, so i do not understand why this would happen.

I called paypal and spent over twenty minutes with a Customer Care Representative who told me that they cannot help me as the device was bought through Amazon and it is out of warranty. What a load of nonsense. I said to them how would they feel if they were in my shoes, i was shocked to here them say that ‘how I feel is irrelevant to this’. No compassion at all. Frankly i am most disgusted with this device and the Paypal customer support team. I am certain that this device is not fit for purpose and should have been replaced free of charge.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

glad24
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the same here, hardly used, in pristine condition, has always lived in it's little box and now when I need it in two days I get the 'damage detected' error message. Same thing, both where I bought the the reader and PayPal don't want to take responsibility. I intend to take this higher as I've read now it's a really common problem. What a ripoff they are! Did you get any resolution?

Login to Me Too

Derry1
Contributor
Contributor
So PayPal doesn’t seem to respond to card reader corruption questions
Login to Me Too

Noyrt
New Community Member

I had the same problem with the device and if I remember correctly paid more than $100 for it when it was new.  I have had mine for a couple of years but only used it a few times as it was not really necessary to take credit cards over the phone, (didn't know that).  So now as I have read so many people have encountered the same problem with this (now a couple years old) card reader. So I am convinced that paypal programmed these to stop working after a certain amount of time, so you would be forced to buy another one!  Planned  obsolescence.  I personally think this should be a class action lawsuit against them, but who can prove it?   My 2 cents,, but I won't be buying another one from paypal.... I change services first.   

Also Customer No-service, was not helpful.. and basically said sorry you will have to buy another one...   I think they planned this from the beginning. 

Login to Me Too

debster3
New Community Member

Same problem.   Pristine, kept in box only used a couple of times and now says 'Damage to reader detected.  Contact paypal for assistance.  

Login to Me Too

JasonF
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, same problem here kept in box ina safe and turn it on after charging it and same error. I won't be buying another one.

Login to Me Too

GSatch
Contributor
Contributor

I got my card reader three years ago. I need it for three days per year when I have a Christmas craft fair. So I used it for three days in 2016, put it away for a year, used it for three days in 2017, put it away for a year, and used it for three days in 2018. No problems whatsoever, it charged up and worked perfectly without Being touched in the interim. Tomorrow is the opening day of my 2019 craft fair and it is not working. I'm responsible for taking payments not just for myself but for six other people. Half of our sales are by card, this will affect us badly. Having read the other threads on here about this problem it looks like I’m going to have no joy contacting PayPal about it.

Login to Me Too

readerripoff
New Community Member

Used once and then got out of box 2 years later and guess what? Card reader damaged. Its not been anywhere other than in a drawer. Clearly not fit for purpose. Paypal only interested in charging for another reader. They wont get 54 GBP for that or any other fees from now on

Login to Me Too

ozdavee
New Community Member

Hi yeah exactly the same problem here only used it a couple of times and stored in box.  Based on the comments it doesn't seem like Pay Pal will be any help to resolve it. 

Login to Me Too

JohnJenkins
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, the thing is mine has never been used, got it 3/4 years ago and never used it opened it last week turned it on and so the error, now can't get hold of anyone at PayPal to resolve, have a similar issue with the previous model and that I did use all the time reached out to PayPal at that time and all they did was give me code to get 5% of this one. 

Paypal as this seems to be a common problem are you replacing the faulty one? @paypal @paypalhere

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.