Chip & Swipe Card Reader not discoverable

Catzpaw164

I purchased the Chip & Swipe card reader to upgrade from the original card reader that connects to the headphone jack. I have tried to connect the card reader to the following devices: iPhone 5s running iOS 11.4.1, iPad 2 running iOS 9.3.5, and iPad Pro 12" running 11.4.1. It will not pair with any of these devices. I can see the card reader on my MacBook Pro laptop and connect to the reader; can't use on the MacBook but at least I can see it. 

Apparently there is some issue with Bluetooth drivers or Bluetooth hardware on the paring device. PayPal support continues to tell me the reader is compatible with my devices and just keeps walking me through how to pair the device, without success. I am now trying to get a new reader or a refund.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

jimlefav
Contributor
Contributor

The only solution I can find so far is to not use paypal for my business. I see no help, no answers, and can't even find the list of "compatible phones" although any current model (within the last few years at least) should be able to work. My phone doesn't even see the device while the blue light blinks... lights are on but you know the rest, waste of money it seems.

Login to Me Too

jimlefav
Contributor
Contributor

Did further testing on my own - turned off bluetooth on my motorola, and restarted phone, then when it came back up I turned bluetooth back on. I went to paypal app and added new card reader, it found it this time. Now it's updated and connected, we'll see how long it  holds up though.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.