suspicious payment

emabri123
Contributor
Contributor

I have sold something through an app called depop however the customer did not want to purchase the item through depop and instead bought through paypal goods and services. The buyer then messaged me off a different depop account telling me to send the item to an address however it is a different address to the one provided on paypal. Since then the buyer has messaged me on about 3 different accounts all with no activity or identity on any of them. Is this suspicious and if so which address should i send the item to ?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emabri123

DO NOT go ahead, I think you would be mad to do so, if they have sent the funds with the description 'designer clothes' and they are not then all they have to do is file a dispute for item received but not as described and you would be forced to refund them.

This is an obvious scam and you need to ignore that buyer, way to many red flags showing.

You also need to read up on seller protection or you are going to start losing a lot of money.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emabri123

1. Are the funds actually showing in your paypal account balance? I suspect not in which case its a scam.

2. You should never send to an address that is NOT the buyers paypal registered address.

Are they in Nigeria or similar by the way? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

emabri123
Contributor
Contributor

The full payment amount did go through however they put the description of the payment as 'designer clothes' when they were not actually buying any designer clothes. The two different addresses they sent me where for different addresses in the UK. But the names and addresses are 2 completely different people. I thought it was suspicious because they keep messaging me off different accounts with different names. I will send the item to the address that is provided on Paypal however i am cautious to whether they will scam me by saying they have not received the correct items or that it was sent to the wrong address. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emabri123

DO NOT go ahead, I think you would be mad to do so, if they have sent the funds with the description 'designer clothes' and they are not then all they have to do is file a dispute for item received but not as described and you would be forced to refund them.

This is an obvious scam and you need to ignore that buyer, way to many red flags showing.

You also need to read up on seller protection or you are going to start losing a lot of money.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.