scared of being scammed

JosJ2
Contributor
Contributor
How can i protect myself as a seller when shipping an expensive item? I hear so many stories of buyers falsely reporting issues or using a credit card and requesting a charge back and getting there money back while the seller is left with no product and no money.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JosJ2 

Observe the seller protection program terms and conditions (its not a 100% guarantee):

What is the PayPal Seller Protection Policy and what items aren’t covered?

Seller Protection Policy (full)

Pack item securely to protect from damage, insure the item, ship signed for with tracking/recorded delivery.

The buyer protection policy of where the buyer is based also applies. Visit this page and click the country of buyer and the buyer protection terms is found in the User Agreement:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/legalhub-full

Ultimately, you have to make the best business decision with disputes. What loses you the least time and money/product; take emotion out of it.  If you fight the buyer, they can go over your head and file a chargeback which does not require buyers to return item so you'll lose both item and money. Therefore the best thing you can do is work with the buyer to resolve things. Accept a return for full refund or see if you can refund a partially and let them keep the item, are examples. The good thing is, the buyer pays for return shipping and they can apply for reimbursement from PayPal through their "Return Shipping On Us" program.

If buyer returns a brick or empty envelope, report them to PayPal for abusing the Buyer Protection program. Or don't sell what you can't afford to lose. An alternative is to do cash and carry only.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JosJ2 

Observe the seller protection program terms and conditions (its not a 100% guarantee):

What is the PayPal Seller Protection Policy and what items aren’t covered?

Seller Protection Policy (full)

Pack item securely to protect from damage, insure the item, ship signed for with tracking/recorded delivery.

The buyer protection policy of where the buyer is based also applies. Visit this page and click the country of buyer and the buyer protection terms is found in the User Agreement:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/legalhub-full

Ultimately, you have to make the best business decision with disputes. What loses you the least time and money/product; take emotion out of it.  If you fight the buyer, they can go over your head and file a chargeback which does not require buyers to return item so you'll lose both item and money. Therefore the best thing you can do is work with the buyer to resolve things. Accept a return for full refund or see if you can refund a partially and let them keep the item, are examples. The good thing is, the buyer pays for return shipping and they can apply for reimbursement from PayPal through their "Return Shipping On Us" program.

If buyer returns a brick or empty envelope, report them to PayPal for abusing the Buyer Protection program. Or don't sell what you can't afford to lose. An alternative is to do cash and carry only.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.