scams

abbieheighingto
New Community Member

so i was wondering what people would think of this..

my sister was selling a dining table and chiars for our mum, she advertised this on gumtree. 

she received an email by and interested buyer and the buyer wanted to pay via pay pal. she said she wanted to get a courier to pick up the table and chairs as she was "offshore"

i agreed and sent over my paypal info 

she then sent an email stating she had transferred 900 pound to the account, it stated that the funds would get to my account until i had personally paid the courier 400 and shown proof, this to me seemed strange as i would be paying this from my own pocket before receiving anything. 

After i emailed back to say i wasnt going to do this she said that she would be making a complaint to paypal about this, which obviously doesn't concern me because i haven't received any funds anyway! 

I just really wanted to see what everyone else thought about this situation. 

thankyou 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

ssaroop
New Community Member

I am trying to sell an item on eBay and this woman contacted me saying she was interested and would pay my asking price but needed overnight shipping. After I sent her the estimated costs she gave me her personal email and asked me to send her a Paypal request which I thought was weird, but she was willing to pay my asking price so I sent her the request and now she's telling me money has been deducted from her account and I need to send her a tracking number before I get the money.

I understand escrow accounts but Paypal does not show any funds being held for me and my request for funds is still showing as pending. I'm starting to think this person is trying to scam me too!

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

It looks like a scam to me. Never send anything online until you've got the money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.