no returns

philquad
Contributor
Contributor

i recently sold a computer part on ebay, and its been months, but now the buyer says it didnt work.

it was taken from a working system myself, i find it hard to believe its faulty.

i dont feel obligated, there was no returns stated.

but i do feel sorry for him in a way, is he protected b paypal insurance without but taking the money off me,

as that will not be happening.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@philquad 

Unfortunately as you agreed to paypals user agreement when you opened your paypal account then that over-rides your no return policy IF paypal find in favour of the buyer.

A buyer has up to 180 days to open a dispute on paypal for item received but not as described, if he does then put in as much info as you can in 'messages to the buyer' that paypal may read before the buyer escalates it to a claim.

Again IF paypal find in the buyers favour then he would normally be asked to return the item back to you first at his own expense before you have to refund. If you refuse a refund then paypal will refund the buyer under their buyer protection scheme BUT they will then put your paypal account into negative and limit it until you pay them back again.

Worse case scenario if you don't pay them back is that they pass the 'debt' on to a collection agency to recover.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@philquad 

Unfortunately as you agreed to paypals user agreement when you opened your paypal account then that over-rides your no return policy IF paypal find in favour of the buyer.

A buyer has up to 180 days to open a dispute on paypal for item received but not as described, if he does then put in as much info as you can in 'messages to the buyer' that paypal may read before the buyer escalates it to a claim.

Again IF paypal find in the buyers favour then he would normally be asked to return the item back to you first at his own expense before you have to refund. If you refuse a refund then paypal will refund the buyer under their buyer protection scheme BUT they will then put your paypal account into negative and limit it until you pay them back again.

Worse case scenario if you don't pay them back is that they pass the 'debt' on to a collection agency to recover.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

philquad
Contributor
Contributor

sounds about right from paypal

in that case ill just change all my accounts to credit card

thanks for the advice

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@philquad 

In that case the buyer will have the same rights to do a credit card chargeback the same as a paypal chargeback.

But with a credit card chargeback you won't get the item back which you nearly always do with paypal. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

philquad
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

well, they found in my favour, how about that

yet im still going to offer the buyer 50% back in return for it

i feel we both lose the same then

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.