mr

jerry40
New Community Member

hello i recived a payment on the 31st say i recieved £3.67 because i sold someone something, i then receive a email on the 10th of feb saying " they did not make this purchase so and that they requested a back draw of £4.71 what is more then what they actually sent me, i think i cant be bothered with the hassle and just give him a refund so i do then i get a email today saying that a £14 fee is coming out my account over a £3 dispute because i refunded him how is this fair this is outragous and no one at paypal seems to even care

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @jerry40,

I'm sorry to hear that you received a transaction from someone who was using stolen funds. It sounds like the refund amount was the full amount of the transaction prior to the fees being subtracted for the receipt of funds. When refunding a payment, the full amount is refunded and the fees are not credited to the seller. They are the seller's responsibility to pay.

It sounds like the owner of the stolen funds subsequently opened a chargeback on the payment with their card issuer. When there is a chargeback, the card issuer charges PayPal a fee. A portion of that fee is the seller's responsibility to pay if the transaction does not meet the requirements for Seller Protection. 

For future transactions, adhering to all the guidelines of Seller Protection will help protect you from loss in a situation where there is a dispute or chargeback.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.