iPhone chargeback?

vlad_impaler
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps someone could help me?  Been a seller for a long, long time; since 2001.  Very low amounts, just selling my odds and ends.

I sold an iPhone 7 last August.  A couple of weeks ago, I get an email stating that the buyer had changed networks, and the old network would not unlock the phone, and could I help them with a proof of purchase?  The phone was sold as locked to a particular network.  A couple of days later, I get a charge back through Paypal....this network issue has evolved into the phone being blocked and 'basically' unusable.  I reply quoting the original Ebay mail sent to me, and offer help, on the understanding that I get a clear statement on if the phone is blocked as stolen, or if the network would simply not unlock it?  Paypal go back to the Buyer, and now today, case closed in their favor.  So, they get to keep the iPhone and the £180.  No suggestion of requiring a return even; just 'here, have the phone, and the money as well!

I'm confused - I don't believe the buyer for a moment; but that's not the point.  I'm not going to get into he said/she said with them; I would just take a return on it; but that is not an option.  Can any buyer just make up whatever they like, and get to keep the goods and the money?

I'm minded to send a letter before action to the buyer's address to obtain the phone back.  Is that a reasonable response?

Thanks all.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vlad_impaler 

A chargeback is different from a PayPal dispute. PayPal opens a PayPal dispute case to facilitate the chargeback. Did you incur a chargeback fee along with the amount disputed? Financial institutions may not require the buyer to return the item. Once the bank makes the decision to refund the buyer, PayPal has to pay the bank back and then PayPal holds you liable. I dunno what kind of case the buyer filed with their financial institution but if it is a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) chargeback, then sellers are not eligible for coverage under PayPal Seller protection.

You can send letter to buyer to return item but that don't mean they will. This could turn into a law enforcement issue to recover phone. Or you can report phone as stolen if not returned.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vlad_impaler 

A chargeback is different from a PayPal dispute. PayPal opens a PayPal dispute case to facilitate the chargeback. Did you incur a chargeback fee along with the amount disputed? Financial institutions may not require the buyer to return the item. Once the bank makes the decision to refund the buyer, PayPal has to pay the bank back and then PayPal holds you liable. I dunno what kind of case the buyer filed with their financial institution but if it is a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) chargeback, then sellers are not eligible for coverage under PayPal Seller protection.

You can send letter to buyer to return item but that don't mean they will. This could turn into a law enforcement issue to recover phone. Or you can report phone as stolen if not returned.

Login to Me Too

vlad_impaler
Contributor
Contributor

I apologize; it was not a charge back, it was a PayPal dispute.

I was thinking about a letter, or indeed reporting it as stolen, which it technically has been I suppose.  Would there be any comeback from Paypal/Ebay for upsetting a customer like this?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vlad_impaler wrote:

I apologize; it was not a charge back, it was a PayPal dispute.

I was thinking about a letter, or indeed reporting it as stolen, which it technically has been I suppose.  Would there be any comeback from Paypal/Ebay for upsetting a customer like this?

That's weird then for PayPal not to require buyer to return item if its just a PayPal dispute. Perhaps from their standpoint, you weren't talking about accepting a return for a refund and instead of having it drag out any longer because buyer has a phone they can't use and to avoid a credit card chargeback by the buyer, PayPal caved. You'll have to call and ask. I don't think they will come after you but you have it on your record, just try to keep disputes to a minimum, even though there is no limit to the number of disputes, according to the terms of the protection programs. If they do, they might limit your account to check where you get your items from, verify identity, stuff like that which can put your account out of use for a while.

To contact customer service for assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (UK): https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK

Twitter (UK): @paypalUK 

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Login to Me Too

maleficandace
New Community Member

This is exactly what is happening to me right now. Sold an iPhone on Ebay. After 60 days, the buyer filed a chargeback with their financial institution stating the item was not as described and they sided on the side of the buyer. So PayPal took the money back from me.

Ebay has told me they cannot get involved. PayPal has told me there is nothing they can do since the financial institution sided with the buyer and closed the case. And obviously the buyer is not responding to my messages and has not returned the item.

So it really seems to me like anyone can buy anything from you on ebay and steal the item and get away with it. I don't understand how there is no seller protection anywhere?

The buyer lives in another country so I don't think I can pursue legal action.

Do I have any options?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.