extortion of money and fake email

weronikapeglau
New Community Member

I tried to sell a car today. The buyer asked for my paypal transfer details. in response, I received an email saying: '' The transaction is subjected as MERCHANDISE, so we reserve secure transactions. The fund has been deducted from the buyer's account. It will not be available in your Merchandise Policy. Hence, the £ 600.00 GBP will not be available until we can do the courier fee successfully. Therefore, you need to send the sum of £ 300.00 to the courier via Bank Transfer. This measure is done to secure transactions, also to make 'a safer way for buying and selling''

This is another email from buyer: ''Hello again,

I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment! PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your email. I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their headquarter office via Bank Transfer, but due to me being in wheelchair i'm unable to get to the Bank or having internet banking to send it. I added the £300 they charged for the pick up, you will receive the total sum of £600. You’ll send £300 to them via Bank Transfer today and here is the details needed for the transfer below:

First Name: Joyce

Last Name: <removed>

Account Number: <removed>

Sort Code: 04-00-26

Payment Reference: Business  

Please let me know once you’ve sent the money so that i can make necessary arrangements. '' 

Later she tried to scare me that she would report me tothe police. Anyone had similar situation? what did you do?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

bobanon1234
New Community Member

Hi,

I've had almost the exact same thing - it is a classic fake PayPal-based scam. Do not accept or send any money from that person. I would block any emails from them - report their bank account if you can. Report them wherever you can!

Please report them here: https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/report-scam-unauthorised-firm

and follow this advice: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/beginners-guide-to-scams

Kind regards

Login to Me Too

LucyD3
Contributor
Contributor
Definately a scam. If someone pays by PayPal there is never a fee to release the funds. Paypal sometimes holds the payment for 21 days if your new to PayPal but it still shows in your Paypal account as a pending payment so if there is nothing there it’s a total scam. They aren’t interested in your vehicle, only the money you send. I’d be telling them you will call the police....lol. Anyone who wants to buy a car without seeing it first is probably trying to scam you in some way.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.